Is 1/8 twist on the way out?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Hunter1

Re: Is 1/8 twist on the way out?

Post by Hunter1 »

Thanks for all the great feedback and Info. It seems it doesn't make so much of a difference between 1/8 or 1/7 for my purposes. I am looking to build a bolt gun, and it will be used with supers for hunting. I will also need subs though to get the armadillos tearing up my yard at night while not disturbing my neighbors.

Although, I think though my AR sbr purchase might be better with the 1/7 twist.
Hunter1

Post by Hunter1 »

When can we expect to see some new AAC nitrided barrels for bolt guns in stock? In either twist. Everyone seems to be sold out.
eracer
Senior Silent Operator

Post by eracer »

curious sam wrote:Early Adopter penalty strikes twice... 1/8, 51T...
51T ??

What did I miss? I have a 51T on two guns.
este
Senior Silent Operator

Post by este »

eracer wrote:
curious sam wrote:Early Adopter penalty strikes twice... 1/8, 51T...
51T ??

What did I miss? I have a 51T on two guns.
The new SR5 and SR7 use a new 90T taper mount. Although the new Mini7 uses a 51T and AAC has said they will support 51T for awhile. For me since I don't own any 51T, it makes no sense to start now, I might as well pony up for the 90T ST7... as soon as AAC says they are shipping.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

300Blk wrote:I have my 1:4 barrel. I have not used it though. A govt lab is testing it and I will just look at those results.

PLEASE keep us posted!

Will this have CP 1:4 vs CP of a 1:7. FPS differences as well? Or just a stand alone test for accuracy, FPS, and PSI?

This is chambered in BLK or 308?
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

I am interested in tests of accuracy, velocity, and recovered bullets.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

300Blk wrote:308.

I am interested in tests of accuracy, velocity, and recovered bullets.

I thought it was a 308 (back from the 308 BLACKOUT days)

It will be interesting to see if the bullets "skid" any in different bullet weights. 125-240 gr in both sub and super sonic speeds .. Will they try any lead bullets? (I have some 220's and 190's left) It would be very interesting to see how that would work out in it.

If you want I can mail some off to you. I get NO skidding with the 1:8 but did not expect any. But that's at 900-1050 fps. If I was having the tests done I would try it at 900-1025 fps for subs in lead and at 1400-2000 FPS (the average load for a lead GC bullet in a .30) Then check for skidding at those FPS 2 nodes.

I'm glad you are testing this. I look forward to your results.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
Hangman2112

Post by Hangman2112 »

Hello, I'm new to the forum. Hope i am not jumping topic but aside from favoring the 1in7 for the heavier .223 match platforms I will like to see how it turns out for the 300Blk. I wanted to say that i am a small operating builder and i have some old 1in8 300Blk items for sale that i shall be posting in the classifieds and that i am enjoying this cartridge and am glad to have found someplace else where others do, as well.
bp_968
Senior Silent Operator

Post by bp_968 »

300Blk wrote:Rpm matters, so yes - the longer barrel will be more stable due to the higher velocity.
Its not just that, barrel spec matters too. If you have a really "loose" spec'ed barrel it will be less stable then a "tight" spec barrel (or one that is very close to minimum specs, like for example a quality target style barrel).

Its the same reason you see people with high quality SBR barrels sometimes posting FPS numbers higher then people with a wore out or low quality, but longer barrel.

It's also why they always warn people to not start with max loads. The tighter barrel will have a higher pressure curve then the loose barrel, given the same ammo.

(of course I know robert knows all this already. just posting it for the info). Another poster above me listed even more items that effect stability/pressure/fps.

This 1/7 thing is annoying since I bought a barrel 2 weeks ago. Oh well, Noveske is a good company, I suspect if I have issues they will handle it. Plus I'm honestly more interested in shooting lighter (cheaper) then I am heavier (more expensive) bullets.
-----------------------------

This space for rent.