Is 1/8 twist on the way out?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

agriebel
Silent Operator

Re: Is 1/8 twist on the way out?

Post by agriebel »

Funny considering how LMT was originally going with 1-10 twist. I thought the 1-8 gave the best OVERALL performance with subs and supers.
2bad4u2
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2bad4u2 »

I wouldn't get relly worked up over the change to 1:7". Seriously, did your rifle(s) all of a sudden stop stabilizing the ammunition you're currently using because of this announcement? No, of course not.

FWIW, it's already been mentioned that going to the 1:7" was mainly for the benefit of +240gr. bullets. I don't think a lot of guys are shooting those. You hear a lot of talk regarding ammo and reloading recipes with bullet weights in the 220gr.-225gr. range. It's certainly not as common to hear of people loading the more expensive 240gr. SMK's.

Don't sweat the small stuff - unless of course you have to.
sinsir
Silent Operator

Post by sinsir »

2bad4u2 wrote:I wouldn't get relly worked up over the change to 1:7". Seriously, did your rifle(s) all of a sudden stop stabilizing the ammunition you're currently using because of this announcement? No, of course not.

FWIW, it's already been mentioned that going to the 1:7" was mainly for the benefit of +240gr. bullets. I don't think a lot of guys are shooting those. You hear a lot of talk regarding ammo and reloading recipes with bullet weights in the 220gr.-225gr. range. It's certainly not as common to hear of people loading the more expensive 240gr. SMK's.

we do exist i tell you...we are not just a myth :lol:
i'm not sweating it, the 247 cast has been printing good groups, with nice round holes. when i have the time i'll try them out to 100 yards and see if they are still doing well.
2bad4u2
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2bad4u2 »

sinsir wrote:
2bad4u2 wrote:I wouldn't get relly worked up over the change to 1:7". Seriously, did your rifle(s) all of a sudden stop stabilizing the ammunition you're currently using because of this announcement? No, of course not.

i'm not sweating it, the 247 cast has been printing good groups, with nice round holes. when i have the time i'll try them out to 100 yards and see if they are still doing well.
I actually own the same mold bu haven't used it yet. Probably won't for some time. Hard to say if it will benefit or not. As JohnNH said above, there's a lot of different things that go into developing accurate cast bullets and loads. By chance are you relatively new to casting?
slowfire
Senior Silent Operator

Post by slowfire »

In 3 months we'll all be talking about how the 1 in 7" doesn't stabilize 110 gr V-Max bullets. Then it'll be on! :lol:
sinsir
Silent Operator

Post by sinsir »

2bad4u2 wrote:
sinsir wrote:

I actually own the same mold bu haven't used it yet. Probably won't for some time. Hard to say if it will benefit or not. As JohnNH said above, there's a lot of different things that go into developing accurate cast bullets and loads. By chance are you relatively new to casting?
yes i am new to casting, but am learning from a guy who has been around the block a time or three,ass deep into casting and has a hardon for hensley and gibbs molds. i actualy found him 3 at a small gunshop in tallahassee fla for $25 each if you can believe it

2 .45's and a 9mm

wlc
Senior Silent Operator

Post by wlc »

Ok, Does this mean I need to wait or go ahead with my build? I've been gathering parts, but haven't bought the barrel just yet. I want to optimize my ability with this round in both super and subsonic. Is the 1/7 going to be better, worse, or the same with the supers? I realize it'll stabilize the 220 gr + bullets better, but what about overall use?
CoheedKillgannon
Silent But Deadly

Post by CoheedKillgannon »

wlc wrote:Is the 1/7 going to be better, worse, or the same with the supers? I realize it'll stabilize the 220 gr + bullets better, but what about overall use?
I have a feeling that 1:8 will still be the ideal choice for people who want to shoot the lightest supersonics but still want to try subsonics too.
Last edited by CoheedKillgannon on Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

wlc wrote:Ok, Does this mean I need to wait or go ahead with my build? I've been gathering parts, but haven't bought the barrel just yet. I want to optimize my ability with this round in both super and subsonic. Is the 1/7 going to be better, worse, or the same with the supers? I realize it'll stabilize the 220 gr + bullets better, but what about overall use?
Do you plan on shooting mostly subs and heavy bullets? Or a SBR? If not the 1:8 is fine.

I was planning on shooting 250 gr cast bullets, at 950-1040 fps ... so a 1:7 would be better for me. .. Also, some of the round nose bullets apparently are having some tail wag. I shoot over 90% subsonic. I also was going to SBR my lower, so again the 1:7 twist would have been better for my and the shooting I had planned to do.

As a dealer a 1:8 now is going to be a hard sell. They could not keep the cat in the bag any longer. Robert new the 1:7 was going to be in his handi rifle but said nothing... also micro7 is apparently going to 1:7 too. He had to know this. Had I known i would have NOT bought a 1:8. I would have waited the 3 months for a 1:7.

Butt hurt? Yea, some. As a company man had he let us know the 1:8's would have sat. I think I am more pissed my rifle has not arrived yet (i doubt it has shipped). The 1:8 is fine for supers and subs up to 200 maybe 220, baffle strikes will be less of a risk with a 1:7 as your fps is more critical with a 1:8.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

agriebel wrote:Funny considering how LMT was originally going with 1-10 twist. I thought the 1-8 gave the best OVERALL performance with subs and supers.
LMT went with 1/7 twist.