Shakeup at AAC

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Bugg77
Silent Operator

Re: Shakeup at AAC

Post by Bugg77 »

trenttyre wrote:
Twistomatic wrote:I for one want him to start a new company.

He has the start up cash from the buy out by Remington.

Whether he is willing to :| is another aspect.

Regards
I am sure that he had to sign a no compete clause when they bought him out but those never hold up in court b/c no one can stop you from making a living doing the only thing you have ever known or done.
Also, they apparently terminated the contact with him so that gives him additional leverage should he choose to open up a competing company.

I'm still buying an AAC 762-SDN-6 to go on my 300BLK SBR. The nice thing about ARs is even if the 300BLK is a failure and loses industry support - which is always a possibility - you are just a barrel (and possibly bolt/magazine) swap away from having a great rifle in another caliber.

Variety is the spice of life and that is why there is plenty of room in my gun safe for both the 6.8SPC and the 300BLK.
SomeOtherGuy
Senior Silent Operator

Post by SomeOtherGuy »

There's a lot of speculation and knee-jerk here. I have no idea why the founder was apparently fired, but the possibilities cover an enormous range, and I doubt anyone reading this who isn't employed by AAC or Freedom Group has any good idea what the facts are. I'm not changing a thing about my use of 300BLK, but I will of course be watching the industry news to see how things develop. I do think people who want to say something should simply remind Freedom Group of their commitment to this new(ish) cartridge and how it would harm their reputation if that commitment were to lessen.

BTW, I've never owned a 6.8 SPC. Came close many times, but the confusion over ammo types, chamber dimensions, real-world performance, and reliable availability of ammo all have kept me from doing so. So far 300BLK is off to a great start avoiding all those issues. They just need to avoid screwing anything up.
trenttyre wrote:I am sure that he had to sign a no compete clause when they bought him out but those never hold up in court b/c no one can stop you from making a living doing the only thing you have ever known or done.
Ummm, no, non-competes do usually hold up in court.
|||Honey Badger is my co-pilot, God has overwatch.|||
renegade
Senior Silent Operator

Post by renegade »

SomeOtherGuy wrote:
trenttyre wrote:I am sure that he had to sign a no compete clause when they bought him out but those never hold up in court b/c no one can stop you from making a living doing the only thing you have ever known or done.
Very few do nowadays. Most seem to settle out of court before they lose, Mark Hurd being a recent high-profile example.
burton
Silent Operator

Post by burton »

"I do think people who want to say something should simply remind Freedom Group of their commitment to this new(ish) cartridge and how it would harm their reputation if that commitment were to lessen."

PAY ATTENTION FREEDOM GROUP.
alleycat72

Post by alleycat72 »

The 300 Whisper has been around for years. The 300 Blackout will be around for years to come even if Remington dropped it today. Kevin can now do some things that he might not have been able to do before this. It sucks to get fired, but I have a feeling he's going to be ok.
www.1050fps.com
http://www.outlawstatebullets.com/
Quiet Riot
Silent But Deadly

Post by Quiet Riot »

renegade wrote:
SomeOtherGuy wrote:
Very few do nowadays. Most seem to settle out of court before they lose, Mark Hurd being a recent high-profile example.
The way they hold up is that even if his employment has been terminated, they are still paying him only a portion of the buyout each year. He is thus likely getting paid not to compete, making a fine living at that.

Additionally, non competes for less than one year in duration do indeed stand up in court if properly worded. It is once you get beyond a year that courts want to see what's called additional "consideration" in exchange for not competing.

If Kevin is throwing the whole contract out the window, he might start something new. However, if his buyout agreement is anything like what is typical, it would be very expensive for him to do so no matter how mad he might be right now.

I doubt he is making any decisions right now, regardless.
Check out my Youtube Channel, TWANGnBANG.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TWANGnBANG
renegade
Senior Silent Operator

Post by renegade »

Quiet Riot wrote:
The way they hold up is that even if his employment has been terminated, they are still paying him only a portion of the buyout each year. He is thus likely getting paid not to compete, making a fine living at that.

Additionally, non competes for less than one year in duration do indeed stand up in court if properly worded. It is once you get beyond a year that courts want to see what's called additional "consideration" in exchange for not competing.
Exactly, follow the money as they say. If they are paying you not to work, no problem.

And one year is irrelevant at his level. I was not a high-level exec, I got a 1 year severance package during a dot-com layoff. Can take over a year just to line up what you want to do next.
burton
Silent Operator

Post by burton »

700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

burton wrote:Silencerco blog post...

http://www.silencerco.com/blog/?p=347
Great response from a class act, about a class act. 8)
"Common sense should be rebranded as uncommon practical knowledge of things you should know.”-nolwark76
StonkerNZ
Silent Operator

Post by StonkerNZ »

Everybody just relax. If you've already got a 300 BLK, just get yourselves a die set and you'll never have to worry about the future of the cartridge.
(for a bolt gun anyways; unsure on the AR platfrom workings)

Unless everybody stops producing:
-221 fireball and/or 223 brass
-small primers
-powder
-.30 calibre projectiles

Somehow I doubt we're going to see any of the above components disappear off the planet any time soon.
As for cans, I can't get the SDN here in NZ, but my New Zealand made suppressor works just fine; nice and quiet.