Optic suggestions?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Best optic for 300 BLK 9" upper?

EoTech 553 with flip magnifier
2%
Aim point (please state which model) with magnifier
22%
Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x with green triangle
5%
Vortex Viper PST 1-4x
15%
Vortex SPARC with magnifier
7%
Millet DMS-1 (1-4x)
12%
Other
37%

Total votes: 41

nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Re: Optic suggestions?

Post by nolwark76 »

I'm saving for the build now (got a PWS lower on it's way then I'll get the Form 4 started for it to be a SBR). I think once I get the rifle built with flip irons, I'm going to stock up on lots of reloading components then get the optic I want. That way I can get used to the rifle using the irons. I want to stretch it's limits with irons before going to an optic.

I like optics but I also really like irons. The batteries don't run out and they just plain work. Thanks for all the help guys.

FYI- I think that with all the discussion, I think I've settled, for now, on an EOTech and a magnifier which I will leave off most of the time. I'll just use the mag for bunny killing. I'll post a pic when it's done...don't hold your breath for it though, it will be awhile.

Thanks for all the help, I like this forum. It's now my second favorite site behind Snipercentral.com. Sorry, I was into long range first.
WileE

Post by WileE »

rat_dogratty wrote:Even though I accidentally voted for the Millet (don't ask me how). I'm running the vortex 1-4 on my Blackout SBR. I liked it so much on my 5.56 sbr I got an identical one (larue mounts) for the blackout.

I originally purchased a T-1 and larue mount for this setup, but after I played with it a little I decided I wanted some magnification. (its just a range toy for me, and Its a lot more fun if I can see better) So I sold it and got the Vortex.

You are correct that it is NOT daylight bright (bright sunshine at least). But its fine in over cast, etc. The reticle is very fast to pick up anyway without the illumination.

I was interested in the VXR patrol, but Leupold had very little (NO) information on their site at the time about it. No info about reticles etc. Disappointing because I'm a leupold fan. Vortex's site was very helpful.
I have been thinking about the Vortex scope. At 4x, is it feasible to use the reticle for hold overs or is the mil spacing to small?
nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Post by nolwark76 »

WileE, since it is a second focal plane reticle it will only be accurate at 4x (usually second focal plane reticles are this way, some are different) but with everything you just have to practice with your tools to make them effective. I've got a Millet DMS-1 scope which is true 1-4 and they have a PDF that you can print off showing how to range with it. I would guess that even with practice you would only want to use it to range minute of deer and then approximate your hold overs. I would assume you could do the same with the vortex pst. I'm sure other higher end scopes would be easier to do this with, the Leupold Mark 4 1.5-5 comes to mind. Combine this with dueck defense iron sights and you've got a great weapon. For an SBR it would be a little bit much possibly but for a zombie rifle, sure!

By the way, I see you're in Oregon. I'm in Salem, where are you? Do you have a 300 BLK?
WileE

Post by WileE »

No Blackout yet, but in the coming year for sure. I am just working out how I want to build it.

I do want a low magnification scope. I guess I'm to much into precision type shooting to go with a dot type sight. Been thinking about 1-4 pst, 1.5-5 falcon and have just seen the 1.25-4 vx-r patrol. The 1-4 SS with the dot would be nice but that's getting to spendy for me.

I'm a few miles NE of Salem. We should get together and shoot sometime.
nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Post by nolwark76 »

That's weird we are so close. I'm near Lancaster/Haysville. You bet. Ever get down to ARPC? I'm going to join soon.
tctlrld

Post by tctlrld »

I've been meaning to look into the EXPS3-2. It's got the two 1MOA dots. I belive the lower dot is for a 500 yard w/ 5.56 (prob 62gr 14.5" barrel). I need to run the numbers to see what that will translate into for bullet drop. I was hoping it would work for a 300 BLK super sonic and subsonic at some known distance.
nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Post by nolwark76 »

I would be very interested in what you came up with. Zero'd at say 50 yards, I wonder if that second dot could be subs at the same.
PaleHorse

Post by PaleHorse »

I like that Leupold Dual BDC 1.5-5.. sounds great to me!
tag2501
Silent Operator

Post by tag2501 »

I have a leupold vx-3 in 1.5-5 with the illuminated reticle. I figure it should work well on the 300BLK given these old eyes. A 1-5x or 1-6x would be sweet but significantly more $.
best regards

not all that glitters is gold
not all who wander are lost
este
Senior Silent Operator

Post by este »

tctlrld wrote:I've been meaning to look into the EXPS3-2. It's got the two 1MOA dots. I belive the lower dot is for a 500 yard w/ 5.56 (prob 62gr 14.5" barrel). I need to run the numbers to see what that will translate into for bullet drop. I was hoping it would work for a 300 BLK super sonic and subsonic at some known distance.
I'd like to know that as well, too busy with other work to look it up. Should be really easy to figure out though.