Why all the hate for the 300 BLK?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

TMH260
Silent But Deadly

Why all the hate for the 300 BLK?

Post by TMH260 »

Not sure if you guys have noticed or been on the receiving end of the negativity or hate directed at the 300. "Can't we all just get along?"

Note: I have edited this thread to ensure that it concentrates on the question and doesn't concentrate on the negatives.
Last edited by TMH260 on Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
burton
Silent Operator

Re: Why all the hate for the 300 BLK?

Post by burton »

We experienced no negativity at all at October's Knob Creek in regards to the 300BLK, rather lots excitement from everyone we spoke with as we heavily researched uppers and different ammo offerings. it's a caliber that's on the rise...haters will hate, as they say. and gun culture seems to spawn more than its fair share of opinionated know-it-alls.

No one, especially gun nerds, wants to hear that something newer and different that they have not invested in might be a better option...it's human nature...folks love to make snap blanket statements that may or may not have basis in reality. It's like sports talk or something...

no disrespect...but the less this forum focuses on butt-hurt haters and the rehashing of negativity, the better IMO. Pissing wars are good for no one, as has been said before on this forum.
TMH260
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMH260 »

No disrespect taken. I am happy to hear you didn't get any negativity. I guess we talked with the wrong guys.

For clarification and to stress, this thread isn't meant as a butt-hurt/pissing contest, just wondering if others have noted the amount of negativity I have. I am not trying to state the 300 is something it is not and superior to all other rounds on the market.
Eagle1*
Silent Operator

Post by Eagle1* »

the more people realize that this is an up and coming cartridge for the AR platform, the more the round will take off and make it to retailers so that it is available almost anywhere. I know alot of people that are still unaware of this caliber but once I have put them on to it, they seem to really think that this is going to be a great platform. Only time will tell but at the going rate now, I think the cartridge is catching on. I think once the ammo supply becomes more available at a lower price point, more people will want to "try" it out! Alot of people do not reload and like buying factory ammo. At the prices now, alot of the standard public will not jump on it yet. Once the ammo hits the shelf at the mentioned $13.00/box (or hopefully cheaper), you may see it catch on some more.

I for one was a skeptic at first until my friend got into it and I shot his Noveske. I really give credit to AAC/Remington for developing a good all around defensive cartridge that pretty much utilizes everything in a standard AR platform other than the barrel swap yet gives you 30 caliber ballistics. This decision just made good sense!!! 8)
In God we trust, all others are checked through NCIC!
TMH260
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMH260 »

Can't agree more Eagle. The more popularity it gains the better for us all (lower prices and greater availability).
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

SpaceWrangler
Silent But Deadly

Post by SpaceWrangler »

I don't know what it is about gun choices that get (allegedly) grown men so butthurt. "Fit and finish"; "Just as good as Mil-Spec"; "6.8SPC or nothing"

When a well-read individual with a mind of his own goes against the grain and chooses an item not vetted by the AR sheep, you'd think he'd called the guy's wife a whore and knocked up his daughter.

I went with 300BLK because I'd always liked the versatility and ballistics of 7.62x39 in my two SKS's, but preferred the ergonomics and familiarity of the M16 FOW, dating back to my Active-Duty USMC days. What I really wanted was an AR-15 carbine in 7.62x39, but my reading came up with too many reliability problems. The AR platform and the old Sov cartridge just don't work well together. There are exceptions to this, but a shit-hot reliable high-volume-of-fire 7.62x39 AR is pretty rare.

What we needed was a cheap, reliable, commercially-available cartridge that allows a savvy user to shoot .30-caliber bullets out of necked-up 5.56 cases...

Ta-DAA!

300BLK is exactly what I've been waiting for, AR sheep be damned.
Last edited by SpaceWrangler on Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drrufo
Silent Operator

Post by drrufo »

I went to one of the largest gunstores and ammo supplier in SoCal last Friday to see if they carried ANY 300 blackout gear. They had 3 boxes of 220 subsonic and a salesman who said " we probably won't carry the round ". I asked of they had any uppers he said, no let me ask my boss. The reply was yeah we've got one somewhere on the wall.
This place has pallet loads of ammo on the floor and a couple of hundred rifles and uppers on the wall. After 10 minutes of looking I was handed a beautiful pistol gas length CMMG upper, thats it, just one upper and 60 rounds of ammo. They have two stores and a big sale today with all the manufacturers there.

I am giving up on buying local, I will order the upper from the place that gives me the best price for what I want, the same with the ammo.

I read how the 6.8 people don't like this round. I had a vendor at a gun show tell me he didn't need to carry any 300blackout stuff, he had 6.8.

The haters and know nothings ill lose this debate when people like me start buyer 300 blk on a regular basis.

Sometime next week I will buy an upper and at least 1000 rounds on line, no sales tax to California, no money to gun stores that don't want my money. When the doors close on them becuse they have run out of people to sell 5.56 gear to it won't be my fault,
TMH260
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMH260 »

Space those were about the same thoughts I had when I selected the 300 BLK. AK (and better) ballistics out of the AR platform equals winner.
hugegator
Silent Operator

Post by hugegator »

Most folks I've talked to in person are very interested in the 300 BLK and I am seeing more components and ammo available all the time at local shops and gun shows.

Where I've seen real venom toward the round is the responses of the 6.8 true believer types in just about any 300 related thread on arfcom. They seem to go out of their way to shit on any questions regarding the 300 and steer the conversation into a 300 vs 6.8 argument. I don't get their animosity as they both have fairly different applications. Personally, I think they are butthurt over the fact that manufacturers are ignoring their niche in favor of supporting the BLK. I love seeing a new thread or two just about every day here in the New Products Forum, it's very exciting.