Bolt gun handloads?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

pre86

Bolt gun handloads?

Post by pre86 »

I know this has been asked before, but a list of load data for bolt guns would be helpful. Bolt people, as you know, do not care about cycling an action. We just want quiet. Are there going to be any books (Sierra, Hornady, ect.) that will post info in the future? For less than 100 yards, the model 7/AAC is a fun rifle with SS ammo.
I8asquirrel
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Bolt gun handloads?

Post by I8asquirrel »

I am running an Howa action with a schillen 1x8 barrel . My two favorite loads are:

this is a 1/2" load at 100yds for me.
190 Gr Hornady BTSP
10.5 gr 4227
cci 400
COAL 2.240"

or
90 gr Hornady XTP handgun bullet
9.5gr 4759
cci 400
dont know the coal its short...
this round is airgun quite through my suppresor
Alangaq
Silent Operator

Post by Alangaq »

go too load for me is Hornady 225 gr bt match over 9.0 gr of VVN110, rem 7 1/2, COL = 2.26 or as far out as the mag will let me get.

nil smoke from the suppressor and subsonic in my rifle down to about -5 degrees F. any colder and I get the occasional transonic crack... Accuracy is MOA or a bit smaller at 100 yds.
"Those gun control activists advocating exchanging a liberty for safety should recall that the safest place on earth is solitary confinement at Leavenworth."
- Rand T. Lennox
2bad4u2
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2bad4u2 »

I8asquirrel wrote:I am running an Howa action with a schillen 1x8 barrel . My two favorite loads are:

this is a 1/2" load at 100yds for me.
190 Gr Hornady BTSP
10.5 gr 4227
cci 400
COAL 2.240"

or
90 gr Hornady XTP handgun bullet
9.5gr 4759
cci 400
dont know the coal its short...
this round is airgun quite through my suppresor
How accurate is the 90 gr. XTP bullet load? I've tried 110 gr. .30 Carbine bullets and they're absolute shit for accuracy at either end of the velocity spectrum. At least they're "consistently" bad. lol.
slowfire
Senior Silent Operator

Post by slowfire »

I have laddered loads for the 220 gr SMK with N110 and 1680. Got out to the range this weekend and realized my chrony was MIA.

So I shot a box of Rem 220 gr subs and Hornady 110 gr supers and went home. :oops:

Hope to get out again this weekend to chrony my handloads.
I8asquirrel
Senior Silent Operator

Post by I8asquirrel »

I'm getting about 2" at 100 yds with the XTP's using trailboss... I have started working up loads with 4759 thinking it will be more accurate.
The good news Is I flattened a Blacktail buck with it...DRt kill bullet worked great.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

cross posted from the handloading section in the share your handloads.. we need to have a bolt gun/gas gun and super/sub area in each...

110 sp sierra #2100 m1 carbine bullet
4.2-4.3 grains American Select powder from Alliant
OAL = 1.835"
16" micro7 bolt gun

Subsonic plinking load
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
2bad4u2
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2bad4u2 »

JohnInNH wrote:cross posted from the handloading section in the share your handloads.. we need to have a bolt gun/gas gun and super/sub area in each...

110 sp sierra #2100 m1 carbine bullet
4.2-4.3 grains American Select powder from Alliant
OAL = 1.835"
16" micro7 bolt gun

Subsonic plinking load
How's the accuracy John?

My Hornady 110 gr. FMJ-RN Hornady trials with 4.5 gr-6.5 gr. Trail Boss have been full of "FAIL" with accuracy being pathetic.

Yes, we definitely need different threads in the "Handloading Section" for Bolt/Manual Guns and Gas Guns. I posted that same message in the "Handloading Section" but there wasn't much response on it. Sifting through reems of load data for specific use in different platforms is time consuming and somewhat difficult.

It's one thing for a bolt gun guy to use an AR load, it'll go "BANG!" every time and be fine. It's totally another thing for a gas gun guy to use a load not suitable for his platform and have function problems or potentially dangerous pressures for that particular firearm.

IMHO, the changes to the "Handloading Section" are necessary and long overdue.
StonkerNZ
Silent Operator

Post by StonkerNZ »

viewtopic.php?f=128&t=78000

Robert had informed me on another post that H110 is pretty quiet for a bolt gun (no need to worry about gas cycling).

None in stock, but W296 pretty damn close to the same thing and seems to work fine; plus added bonus of using the one powder for sub and super-sonic loads.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

StonkerNZ wrote:viewtopic.php?f=128&t=78000

Robert had informed me on another post that H110 is pretty quiet for a bolt gun (no need to worry about gas cycling).

None in stock, but W296 pretty damn close to the same thing and seems to work fine; plus added bonus of using the one powder for sub and super-sonic loads.

It would be insafe to use 296 for a subsonic load with a 110 or 125 gr bullet.

Bolt gun loads are a lot different.. the loads i have for my 152 m2 ball using 5744 may be tonhot for the bolt in an AR

A m700 or micro 7 can take a lot more abuse than an AR bolt. Also fast pistol powders work well and you get a lot of loads per lb.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!