Will 300 Blackout SUBSONIC kill a deer? Warning...graphic..

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

haus

Re: Will 300 Blackout SUBSONIC kill a deer? Warning...graph

Post by haus »

John Titsworth wrote:An isolated area with people only 50 feet away...you need to come to Arkansas... :D
Shot my AAC .308 this year with full power rounds. Got the sonic crack still, but it was way easier on the ears. I have a 300 black AR but didn't have any hunting loads and I wan't sure about the 220 grain OTM rounds expanding so I didn't take it. My Micro 7 comes in tomorrow. Next year the guys I hunt with won't know if I killed one or not till I come out of the woods :P Using a full size AAC cyclone. First deer was a perfect chest shot, second ran off 20-30 yards and I aimed a bit high and spined her. Hit a 3rd deer (different hunt) with this setup and it went about 20 yards and dropped. Other 5 deer with that one just milled around trying to figure out what happened. Could have dropped another easily on that trip also. Gotta love Arkansas!!!!!!

eastern_hunter
Senior Silent Operator

Post by eastern_hunter »

I popped a doe with a subsonic 220 SMK. Hit her in the neck at 60 yards. She went down instantly and did not get up ... but was struggling so I finished her with a 22 LR to the head. Projectile exited the sideways. Picture of the exit in the hunting pics section.

I certainly recommend carrying a pistol for such circumstances especially with subsonics. Not as much energy there as we've grown use to with supersonic rifles.
libertyman777
Silent But Deadly

Post by libertyman777 »

They kinda remind me of bow kills. Deer usually runs off but doesn't make it far with good shot placement. Lot's of blood.

Good stuff.

Paul
Remember............ You're special, unique, one of a kind....................just like everyone else.
I8asquirrel
Senior Silent Operator

Post by I8asquirrel »

I live in the Willamette valley in Oregon and the cover around here is thick. I have been using the Hornady 90gr XTP with good luck. It shoots pretty well and is way quite from my bolt gun. Best of all the bullet is made to expand at subsonic vel. I made a DRT kill on a nice forked horn blacktail Heartlung shot he didn't go 5ft. I think around here depending on a bullet tumbling to do its job is a recipe for a lost deer. Around our area if the deer runs 50 = yds you could very easly just be feeding the coyotes!
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

it's all about shot placement ... I shot a 270lbs pig from 80 yards and it went doa on the spot .. video to prove it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJYckvdFbbU
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
molardog

Post by molardog »

This thread just pisses me off even more at the fact that I can't legally hunt with my suppressor here in GA. :|
knoxville
Silent Operator

Post by knoxville »

Excellent pictures and description. I could not agree more. My go to load for my blackout bolt gun is the 208 A-max loaded over IMR 4227. I have killed 3 deer this year at various distances up to about 75 yds with all head shots. A friend of mine took a nice doe this week with the same load right at 100 yds. He made a good shot in the vitals and she ran about 30 yds before dropping. It is all about shot placement. The Blackout is excellent, he could not believe how loud the bullet impact was over and beyond the actual shot!
Krisw

Post by Krisw »

Nice buck. I am ready to get started on my 300 BLK after the first of the year.
TeamAFX

Post by TeamAFX »

Nice Deer. Looks like 300 BLK did the trick.
You can hunt with an M-16 down there?
Darkstang
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Darkstang »

Seriously doubt it is a M16....

AR15
Broncman
Gearhead and Powder Burner