Max Effective Range of 300 AAC Blackout

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

300Blk
Site Admin

Re: Max Effective Range of 300 AAC Blackout

Post by 300Blk »

I bet if we had the distribution curve of it, we would see that 300 BLK can handle 3 standard deviations above the mean.
DEVIL DOC
Silent But Deadly

Post by DEVIL DOC »

300Blk wrote:I bet if we had the distribution curve of it, we would see that 300 BLK can handle 3 standard deviations above the mean.
I don't need to know the numbers when I know the truth. Most people who shoot have never shot "intentionally" past 100 yards.
Shot placement is a key fundamental which most tired people tend to sleep on, and dark earth is still the new pink. Save the DI's VIVA LA Colt!
mechanicus

Post by mechanicus »

i agree w/your premise - maybe extend it out some - 150-200 yds max down here in the southeast. there are very few natural shooting lanes beyond that range. I intend to use my 300 blk on whitetails when the upcoming season opens -
mechanicus

Post by mechanicus »

my last longest shot was 125 yds... my prob is when the deer here become active - dark dusk 15-20 minutes before dark, i cant see, even w/good light gathering scopes, deer beyond those ranges - they blend in so well - they look like ghosts beyond that - hard to get a good sight picture....
DEVIL DOC
Silent But Deadly

Post by DEVIL DOC »

That further proves my point, anyone who has ever hunted with good results knows the windows involved ie time, distance, usable light and placement of a shot. From my testing with the blackout I can confidently tell you the round will out perform 99% of the users abilities. I have plans on doing some 300 yard accuracy tests with video footage, most likely during my winter break.
Shot placement is a key fundamental which most tired people tend to sleep on, and dark earth is still the new pink. Save the DI's VIVA LA Colt!
Shamrock-MP
Silent Operator

Post by Shamrock-MP »

Please post the data for the 220 grain from 16 inch barrel?
Maximum range, FPS, drop at 50/100/200m and energy at 200m.

Thanks
The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty. John Adams
Form4
Suppressors and Firearms
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(502)671-9799
www.form4.org
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

200 meters or so.
Teutonic
Silent Operator

Post by Teutonic »

-k- wrote:
It's not energy, it's the damage the bullet can do that matters. A hunting max range would need a standard for testing. First determine a minimum penetration requirement for the size of game. Max hunting range would be where the bullet still upset and met the penetration minimum.

Roger that. Algebra is fun...you can create all kinds of neat formulas that give different numerical results to play with...but if it's about killing stuff, it comes down to physics and the shear destruction a given bullet will cause in the animal of your choice. The empirical data will come this season as those take this caliber to the field and do just that...kill stuff...then talk about what their bullets did and how/why they did it.

Unless AAC is going to resurrect the Strasbourg Test format and marry that with the FBI's ballistic testing program and load up some goats in an old car behind windshield glass wearing cute denim "shoot me" vests it's probably a moot discussion...although this would be a good marketing scheme for the next AAC Silencer Shoot in my opinion...

:mrgreen:
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

It is not clear that test ever happened.
DEVIL DOC
Silent But Deadly

Post by DEVIL DOC »

Shot placement>shot power, common let's go buy some apples with denim skins. :lol: you realize that on the frontier that the round ball had shit for power with almost zero reactivity within the target.