Barrel twist rates

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

OHShooter

Barrel twist rates

Post by OHShooter »

What is the range of bullet weights that are usable in a 1 in 8 twist rate barrel as opposed to a 1 in 10 rate? And is there anything to consider when using a bolt gun verses an AR?

I have a 300 AAC Blackout in a Savage 112 with a 1 in 8 twist barrel but so far I am only shooting the 220 gr. sub-sonic Remington ammo. I haven't shot it a lot or started reloading yet because I'm waiting on the paper work for my suppressor.

I'm considering getting a pistol length barrel for my Contender but don't know whether to get a 1 in 8 or a 1 in 10 barrel. Once I get to reloading my own ammo, I will likely shoot mostly sub-sonic ammo but would like the option to also go super sonic. The Contender barrel will actually be a 300/221 Rimmed cartridge formed from 357 Maximum brass because I don't like rimless cases in my Contenders.

I won't have to worry about semi-auto functioning or even whether it will feed from a magazine since both of my guns are single shot but I also want to be able to shoot as wide a range of bullet weights as possible.
300Blk
Site Admin

Re: Barrel twist rates

Post by 300Blk »

1:8 shoots 110 grain fine.
martineta
Silent But Deadly

Re: Barrel twist rates

Post by martineta »

1 in 8 shoots my Nos 125 Ballistic Tips fine also in the 16.5 inch, 10, inch , and 26 inch barrels that I own.
M. Kenneth Burnett
Hunting Lodge Owner
Paraguay & Uruguay