Another reason why 300 AAC BLACKOUT is going to be popular.

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

300Blk
Site Admin

Another reason why 300 AAC BLACKOUT is going to be popular.

Post by 300Blk »

Just look at the consumer price difference in brass:

Advanced Armament Co (AAC) Brass 300 AAC Blackout (7.62x35mm) Box of 100 - MidwayUSA - 300 AAC BLACKOUT $25 per 100.

Remington Brass 6.8mm Remington SPC - MidwayUSA - 6.8 SPC - $49 per 100.

Silver State Armory Brass 6.8mm Remington SPC - MidwayUSA 6.8 SPC - $73 per 100.

Hornady Reloading Brass 6.8mm Remington SPC Box of 50 - MidwayUSA - 6.8 SPC - $72 per 100.

Winchester Brass 7.62x39mm Russian - MidwayUSA 7.62x39mm - $47 per 100.

Hornady Reloading Brass 6.5 Grendel Box of 50 - MidwayUSA Grendal - $74 per 100.

It does not take a genius to see what will happen 6 months from now as per which cartridge has the lowest loaded ammo price, and what that means in terms of consumer popularity.
Crosshair

Re: Another reason why 300 AAC BLACKOUT is going to be popul

Post by Crosshair »

silencertalk wrote:It does not take a genius to see what will happen 6 months from now as per which cartridge has the lowest loaded ammo price, and what that means in terms of consumer popularity.
How does 7.62x39 having the lowest ammo price help the 300 Blackout? :wink:
"I'm not afraid of dying. I's HOW I die that I'm concerned about." - Crosshair

"Beware the man with one gun. He probably doesn't know how to use it."
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Well at least 7.62x39mm is the least compatible with ARs.
CThomas

Post by CThomas »

Low prices to suck you in and then bam they will get you hooked and then jack it up.
It's just like the ATM, they sucked us in and got us hooked with cheap fees and easy access and then bam they jacked the fees up :wink:
300 Whisper your dead to me and so is Cor-Bon!!
da bugman
Silent But Deadly

Post by da bugman »

Is that newely formed brass, or reformed lakecity?
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

New Remington 300 AAC BLACKOUT primed and sealed brass with correct headstamps.
Kublah
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kublah »

Dont forget that reloading for 300blk is also going to be very competitive compared to 6.5, 6.8 and 7.62(.311)
.308 is the second most popular next to .224. More popularity, cheaper prices, dont forget surplus military pulls for the ultra cheap.

300 BLK is extremely awesome for several reasons that we have discussed multiple times. Another major reason is the same everything as your standard AR-15 minus a barrel change.
bluebird

Post by bluebird »

That is definitely a good news.

However I wonder if there will be more choices for lighter weight bullets with cannelure (110gr and 125gr). The only thing I see now is Barnes 110gr Tac-X and someone here said they haven't had good accuracy with them for some reason, and they are very expensive.

Hornady 110gr V-max seems to be quite popular here but they don't have a cannelure.

Hornady's 150gr FMJ has cannelures but seems a bit heavy for supersonic application imho. Data shows that there's quite a bit of drop.

Mr. Silvers said on the other thread that Remington's 125gr bullets will be coming out soon but I wonder if I can find anything better than the above options that is currently on the market.

I know that many will argue that the cartridge will/ will not need to crimp but I am on the side that favors crimping. The main question for me is whether a taper crimp will be sufficient to prevent bullet setback in reasonably-tougher-than-normal conditions, and whether a roll crimp is possible on a non-cannelure bullet.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I'm still in the learning phase and I'm trying to strengthen my knowledge by having my own opinions based on "facts" in my head.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

You can crimp without a cannelure. Just do it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=548891

Also I have this unproven theory you can use Green Locktite(R) to glue in the bullets and waterproof them at the same time.
bluebird

Post by bluebird »

silencertalk wrote:You can crimp without a cannelure. Just do it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=548891
Yes I understand that. But I wonder if there is a huge difference between a taper crimp with a non-cannelured bullet and a roll crimp in a cannelured bullet in terms of its ability to prevent bullet setback, considering the military did not use the Mk262 Mod 0 (non-cannelured) on 5.56 but the Mk262 Mod 1 (cannelured).

I am not sure whether a roll crimp is possible on non-cannelure bullets. Is it?

Thanks.
silencertalk wrote:Also I have this unproven theory you can use Green Locktite(R) to glue in the bullets and waterproof them at the same time.
I forgot where I read it, that some people use nail polish to waterproof the cartridge.

I think nail polish is better than locktite because locktite is kind of...sticky. I don't know if it will become sticky again when it gets heat up. Maybe it could gum up something?