300 AAC BLACKOUT FAQ

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

agBQ08
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300 AAC BLACKOUT FAQ

Post by agBQ08 »

silencertalk wrote:That makes no sense. Why would not maker not just make a smaller gas port to use a normal buffer?

A manufacturer can pick a gas port size to work with any buffer. I happen to like H2s for short barrels and Hs for 16 inch barrels - so that is how I gassed the AAC 9 and 16 inch uppers.
Ah, ok. I'm dumb. :oops:
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Maybe you are smart and some upper makers are dumb. There may be some brands that have gas ports that I would consider too large.
82nd airborne
Silent But Deadly

Post by 82nd airborne »

Robert, I have a FAQ sheet that I worked up that I made based of of volumes of repeated questions I got. if you would like it to edit to your liking I can send it to you, if you think it will be of benifit.
Also we have 6 models of 300 blk silencers, 3 of which are user servicable with the goal of shooting the 247g noe cast bullet.

Where AAC has thier barrels ported for H2 buffers, we port ours for standard buffers. I am not, by any means saying our method is superior, just throwing the variation out there in reply to the buffer question.
I agree, alot of manufacturers port their barrels to aggressively. I like gas guns to pile the brass into a nice neat little pile the size of a bucket.

For piston systems and the blk, you may find it worth mentioning that they are no cleaner with a suppressed blackout. Alot of people make the assumption that they are.

You may also explain why using converted comercial .223 brass for the bLK is not always a good idea.

Another question I get is how subs and supers cycle with no gas adjustment. Understanding the relationship between the gas volume, pressure curve, and port location with the two main burn rates of powders is lost on many.

Also, one huge selling point for us with the blackout is that someone can buy one silencer, a good .30 silencer, and use it on their BLK upper as well as thier 5.56 upper and/or 6.8 et al. uppers. Alot of people get excited when hearing about that.
Regards,
Aaron Fouraker
Co-Owner
Delta Company Arms, LLC
(918) 332-6503
[email protected]
www.deltacompanyarms.com
IN GOD WE TRUST.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Yes, I would like to add it to my FAQ.

The way I explain it is that Remington designed the subsonic ammo to make about as much gas as the supersonic ammo so that the gun would work with both without adjustment. I have never has to say more than that.
trenttyre
Silent But Deadly

Post by trenttyre »

82nd airborne wrote:For piston systems and the blk, you may find it worth mentioning that they are no cleaner with a suppressed blackout. Alot of people make the assumption that they are.

Aaron,

Could you expand more on this statement.

I am one that assumes a piston will run cleaner no matter what. How will the gun foul more with a piston and a can over just a piston?
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Pistons guns, in 5.56mm, 300 BLK, or any cartridge, are only cleaner than DI when unsuppressed. They lose this advantage once you use a can, as the soot just comes back through the barrel. This is obvious to anyone who has ever shot an MP5 with a can. Even though that is not a gas gun, it gets plenty dirty when shot suppressed.

So besides being quieter than piston guns when suppressed, DI guns are no more dirty.

End result: If you use a can, you might as well use DI.
82nd airborne
Silent But Deadly

Post by 82nd airborne »

trenttyre wrote:
82nd airborne wrote:For piston systems and the blk, you may find it worth mentioning that they are no cleaner with a suppressed blackout. Alot of people make the assumption that they are.

Aaron,

Could you expand more on this statement.

I am one that assumes a piston will run cleaner no matter what. How will the gun foul more with a piston and a can over just a piston?

You bet, basically what Robert said. They foul at the same rate with a suppressor on, and the DI is quieter so I tend to lean towards DI for suppressed shooting.
The piston system is cleaner unsuppressed though.

Its not a 100% unfalsifiable fact, just what I have observed testing both extensively.
Regards,
Aaron Fouraker
Co-Owner
Delta Company Arms, LLC
(918) 332-6503
[email protected]
www.deltacompanyarms.com
IN GOD WE TRUST.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

LWRC did their BLK gun as DI. They probably wanted to do piston, but it would have taken them more time. They say their DI is very reliable.
Capt. Link.

Post by Capt. Link. »

With a Remington 700, it is best to work from a 17 Fireball rifle, or a 223 that has had the ejector replaced with Fireball parts.
Can you clarify this I always use a Sako style extractor on Remington 700's but am unfamiliar with a different ejector for this bolt style.
Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life
GrkPranksta69

Post by GrkPranksta69 »

The only difference between an AR shooting 5.56 versus 300 BLK would be just the barrel right? Would it just be easier to switch out the barrel to go from one to another or just buy the 300 BLK upper as a whole and switch off between the two? Thanks