PLR16 in 300 BLK?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

jlwilliams
Silent Operator

PLR16 in 300 BLK?

Post by jlwilliams »

would it be practical to convert a PLR16 to 300 Blackout? I'm just wondering. I don't have a PLR16 to look at so I have no idea if it's practical to rebarrel one. I know that some of KelTec's guns are built in ways that seem to make taking them apart kind of difficult.

The purpose of doing the conversion to that particular hand gun being the possability of SBRing with a folder.
jdj
Elite Member

Re: PLR16 in 300 BLK?

Post by jdj »

It's doable, check out this thread - same basic idea, with the added benefit that you don't have to open up the bolt... I think we should all petition kel-tec to make factory 300 blk guns though.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB. ... 1101766471
"I regard virginity as a correctible perversity of no interest" - Lazarus Long (Time Enough for Love), Robert A. Heinlein
jlwilliams
Silent Operator

Post by jlwilliams »

Thanks for the link. I poked around there and saw a 300 Blackout thread in the PLR section. No real info, only a few posts. The general direction being that barrel swaps are a factory job, maybe a 'real' gunsmith with some special tools. Then some typical internet commentary about 'is it a good idea?'

There are a few threads over there about SBRing the PLR. KelTec has a kit that you can bolt right on to put AR or folders on no problem. Pretty easy SBR package. I still think that an AR is a better platform with more versatility but the foldability of the PLR makes it an attractive possability.

I think I'll go to the KelTec sight and email them a suggestion. I imagine that their having a 'send in a suggestion' link and a huge internet fanboy following puts them on the receiving end of about a zillion 'bright ideas' a month. Might as well put this one in their ear. Won't likely be the first to post it but they might as well hear it again.
dogon1013

Post by dogon1013 »

The only issue I see is that the barrel itself is kind of smaller in diameter than most AR style barrels. So upping the bore size would make for a thinner wall. It's still probably thick enough to handle the pressure, but there may be other issues, like the pinning of the gas block.

I think the thickest barrel on the rifle version is 3/8" in front of the gas block (Pistol version is a little thinner), which would leave no shoulder for the end of barrel threads. But I guess you could use a lock-nut. Its either that, or a new gas block to handle a thicker barrel.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Yes, suggest it to KelTec. Ask Ruger and S&W to make ARs also.
jdj
Elite Member

Post by jdj »

silencertalk wrote:Yes, suggest it to KelTec. Ask Ruger and S&W to make ARs also.
+1:

go here:

http://www.keltecweapons.com/contact/

and paste this into the message:

Please offer 300 AAC blackout as a caliber for your plr-16 and su-16 series of firearms. I think this caliber would be an ideal alternative to .556 in this weapon platform.

Thanks
"I regard virginity as a correctible perversity of no interest" - Lazarus Long (Time Enough for Love), Robert A. Heinlein
jdj
Elite Member

Post by jdj »

A $500 su-16CA in 300 blk with irons or an RDS would be an ideal trunk-gun IMHO.
Last edited by jdj on Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
82nd airborne
Silent But Deadly

Post by 82nd airborne »

I converted my brother's to 300 BLK, but probably wont do it commercially as it is kind of a pain and there is not enough market to get another machine, or to stop making what we are already making to do a run of them.
Regards,
Aaron Fouraker
Co-Owner
Delta Company Arms, LLC
(918) 332-6503
[email protected]
www.deltacompanyarms.com
IN GOD WE TRUST.
jdj
Elite Member

Post by jdj »

82nd airborne wrote:I converted my brother's to 300 BLK, but probably wont do it commercially as it is kind of a pain and there is not enough market to get another machine, or to stop making what we are already making to do a run of them.
Any pics of the gun or the process you could post up?
jlwilliams
Silent Operator

Post by jlwilliams »

82nd, if you have any pics of the gun or of the conversion in process please put them up.

I gave KelTec a shout out. FWIW