barrel length vs accuracy?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

ELDudarino

barrel length vs accuracy?

Post by ELDudarino »

Howdy all,

I am trying to decide on what lenght barrel to include in my future build. I understand the 300 blackout is designed mainly as a pdw round, however I do enjoy shooting distances.

Does a 9 or 10 in barrel maintain sub 2 moa accuracy at 300 yards? How does it compair to a carbine and rifle lenght barrel? I ask because I want to go SBR with suppressor, but I do want to be able to reach reliably when needed.

Thanks for the help
HotLead
Silent Operator

Re: barrel length vs accuracy?

Post by HotLead »

Your barrel length has very little to do with accuracy. Just pick a good quality barrel, or blank if you will have it custom built, and choose the appropriate bullet weight for the rifling and it should be fine.
Black Belt in Glock
SWR Spectre
AAC 7.62SD, Ti-Rant 45
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

All of the 16 inch barrels we have tried have been significantly more accurate than the short barrels for supersonic bullets. For subsonic it does not seem to matter much.
82nd airborne
Silent But Deadly

Post by 82nd airborne »

Alot of times short barrels can even outdo long barrels due to having more regidity. Barrels are voodoo.
Regards,
Aaron Fouraker
Co-Owner
Delta Company Arms, LLC
(918) 332-6503
[email protected]
www.deltacompanyarms.com
IN GOD WE TRUST.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Yeah, a 16 can outshoot a 26 but it is hard for an 8 to outshoot a 16.
copenhagen
Senior Silent Operator

Post by copenhagen »

But I have a 7" barreled 7.62x39 rifle that will put wolf 123 grain FMJs in a quarter all day long at 100 yards. I have never ceased to be impressed with that thing.

Robert, do you have any idea/theory as to why the Subsonic 300 Blackout is more accurate than the Supersonic out of the shorter barrels?
82nd airborne
Silent But Deadly

Post by 82nd airborne »

regidity, harmonics, drag, on and on. Almost every Encore or contender I have shot is more accurate as a pistol.
Regards,
Aaron Fouraker
Co-Owner
Delta Company Arms, LLC
(918) 332-6503
[email protected]
www.deltacompanyarms.com
IN GOD WE TRUST.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

I think that the higher muzzle exit pressure of supersonic ammo, and the higher pressure of short barrels, flips the bullets off at an angle. It seems to effect boat-tails more than flat base, and shorter bullets are not effected as much.

As for quarter-size groups - our 9 inch barrels can do 1.25 inch 5-shot group averages, which is larger than a quarter, but still ok.
copenhagen
Senior Silent Operator

Post by copenhagen »

That sounds more than good enough for the weapon's intended purpose. I was quite impressed by the sound, or lack thereof, at the shoot of your 300 Blackout Subsonic round. Wish I would have talked to you a bit more, but wasn't sure it was you until later.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

I've been amazed at the accuracy that I'm getting with my 10' Noveske barrel both with subs and light, flat based super sonic rounds.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain