Noveske 300 AAC BLACKOUT 8" vs. 10" barrels

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Darin Reiss

Noveske 300 AAC BLACKOUT 8" vs. 10" barrels

Post by Darin Reiss »

Has anyone chrono'd these barrels side by side with 110 or so grain bullets and H110 or W296?

I am curious to know how much or little velocity is gained when you jump from an 8" barrel to a 10" barrel.

This question was spawned while discussing the optimal short barreled, suppressed 300 AAC BLACKOUT for hunting and possibly self defense.

Thanks,
Darin Reiss
FFL/SOT in Haysville, KS
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Re: Noveske 300 AAC BLACKOUT 8" vs. 10" barrels

Post by Dr.Phil »

I don't have any hard data for you, but I do remember reading on the Quarterbore forum when I was designing my build that 9" seemed to be the optimal barrel length for 300 Whisper when shooting sub-sonic loadings.
It has enough length for full burn and allows for one full rotation of the bullet prior to exiting the barrel.
As far as supersonic loadings go, two inches should only result in a difference of a couple hundred feet per second.

I went with the 10" Noveske barrel for mine since I will be running it suppressed 100% of the time and will be using sub-sonic loadings most of the time.
My thinking was to err on the side of the longer barrel.
I have been very pleased with how my upper came together.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

As for what I would rather have - 8 or 10, I would pick 8 if you wanted max compactness, or 10 if you wanted more velocity.
jasonusvi
Silent But Deadly

Post by jasonusvi »

Based on the velocity estimator in ammo guide I see about a 40fps difference between a subsonic 220 using A1680 out of a 10" vs 8".
A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. – P. J. O'Rourke
loki*hunter
Senior Silent Operator

Post by loki*hunter »

I went through the exact same decision process when I bought my Noveske.... 8" vs 10". I settled on the 8" based on my selection and logistic considerations....

1) I wanted the shortest, lightest, most compact weapon possible - I did not want to go through the SBR process for a slightly shorter weapon... I wanted a compact weapon that could be carried in a backpack when desired and could be used for the quickest maneuverability during my tactical matches that I shoot.

2) The SBR was going to be a dedicated suppressed weapon maximized for sound suppression (hence the 762-SDN-6 can I got to go along with the weapon). Had I decided to get a 300BLK that would be used non-surpressed... I would have gone with the 12.5, 14.5 or 16 long before the 8 or 10.... I don't like muzzle blast that close to my face when shooting.

3) I am going to shoot subsonic primarily with supersonic 110 VMAX as my loud plinking/match ammo

4) I am going to reload my own ammo - (this is where I think your decision really hinges) - If you are going to reload, you can tune your subsonic rounds to be at the edge of subsonic performance from your 8" barrel. And you can tune your supersonic ammo to have the ballistics that you want for longer range use. If you are going to primarily shoot factory ammo... you will suffer velocity loss with shorter barrels..... it may or may not make a real difference to you but your are stuck with what you can buy so a slightly longer barrel may be worth the trade off.

5) There is not a significant accuracy difference between the 8" and 10" barrels (especially not for the way I am going to use the weapon).

6) Cost - No difference

7) Availability - No difference at the time of my purchase

So all in all, the 8" was the best choice for me.... the real difference came down to compactness and reloading my own ammo.... I have my 8" upper and I do have to say that the Noveske stuff has outstanding quality, fit and finish and customer support....I think you will be thrilled with either choice. For what it is worth.... I went with the Noveske for availability and cosmetic reasons over the AAC 9".... I couldn't get an AAC 9" at the time and I liked the way the can was right up against the hand guard on the Noveske.... short of that... I would have gone with the AAC 9".

just my $0.02 worth
Kublah
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kublah »

loki*hunter wrote: I liked the way the can was right up against the hand guard on the Noveske....

That is the only thing I wish I could improve upon my AAC 9". I have lost count of how many rounds I have put through it now and I have not had a single problem (aside from testing loads)
scottryan

Post by scottryan »

I went with 10"

My gun has to be double duty as a supersonic CQB fighting gun and as a suppressed gun. I felt the 10" was a better compromise due to the extra velocity and extra back pressure due to more barrel past the gas block.

It also must cycle subsonics without the silencer. Therefore, I used an regular 3.0 oz carbine buffer, not an H buffer.

I went with 10" because I can set it up the same as my other 5.56 short AR-15s. I can use the same railed handguards and light placement as the other guns.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

There is no extra gas pressure as they can use a larger gas port in the 8 inch if they want.
Darin Reiss

Post by Darin Reiss »

Everyone,

Thanks for your input! It appears the 10" may have the edge in this example.

Thanks,
Darin
9mmkungfu
Silent Operator

Post by 9mmkungfu »

scottryan wrote:I went with 10"

My gun has to be double duty as a supersonic CQB fighting gun and as a suppressed gun. I felt the 10" was a better compromise due to the extra velocity and extra back pressure due to more barrel past the gas block.

It also must cycle subsonics without the silencer. Therefore, I used an regular 3.0 oz carbine buffer, not an H buffer.

I went with 10" because I can set it up the same as my other 5.56 short AR-15s. I can use the same railed handguards and light placement as the other guns.
My 8" does not cycle subs, without the suppressor, using a standard carbine buffer.