Noveske 300 AAC BLACKOUT 8" vs. 10" barrels

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

loki*hunter
Senior Silent Operator
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: Noveske 300 AAC BLACKOUT 8" vs. 10" barrels

Post by loki*hunter » Thu May 19, 2011 2:59 pm

9mmkungfu wrote:
scottryan wrote:I went with 10"

My gun has to be double duty as a supersonic CQB fighting gun and as a suppressed gun. I felt the 10" was a better compromise due to the extra velocity and extra back pressure due to more barrel past the gas block.

It also must cycle subsonics without the silencer. Therefore, I used an regular 3.0 oz carbine buffer, not an H buffer.

I went with 10" because I can set it up the same as my other 5.56 short AR-15s. I can use the same railed handguards and light placement as the other guns.
My 8" does not cycle subs, without the suppressor, using a standard carbine buffer.

When I spoke to Noveske about that they said that they leaned toward reliability with supersonic with or without a suppressor and assumed some risk with non-surpressed subsonic loads figuring that most people would not shoot subsonic unless they were suppressed. It seems to me that this is a good tradeoff for the best performance in the most common ways the weapon would be employed.

BulletFlight for Android
superman007
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:18 pm

Re: Noveske 300 AAC BLACKOUT 8" vs. 10" barrels

Post by superman007 » Fri May 20, 2011 6:15 pm

"extra back pressure due to more barrel past the gas block"

RSilvers, pressure is based upon port size, the additional barrel will help with volume however. Would that not in the case where shooting subs without a silencer be a benefit?

ideally you wouldn't want to open the port to do so as it may allow too much gas running supers.

User avatar
JasonAAC
Industry Professional
Posts: 214
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:08 pm
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Noveske 300 AAC BLACKOUT 8" vs. 10" barrels

Post by JasonAAC » Fri May 20, 2011 6:36 pm

superman007 wrote:"extra back pressure due to more barrel past the gas block"

RSilvers, pressure is based upon port size, the additional barrel will help with volume however. Would that not in the case where shooting subs without a silencer be a benefit?

ideally you wouldn't want to open the port to do so as it may allow too much gas running supers.

"extra" barrel will increase "dwell time" or time the system is pressurized, but that won't increase operating pressure.

So, more barrel would allow the system to be pressurized longer, and could help function. but that's then a tradeoff in terms of having too much gas with subs, which brings us back to the importance of gas port size selection... fun, huh?
Kick Ass Design

User avatar
300Blk
Site Admin
Posts: 7331
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:31 am
Location: USA

Re: Noveske 300 AAC BLACKOUT 8" vs. 10" barrels

Post by 300Blk » Fri May 20, 2011 7:57 pm

Our 9 inch uppers are at least as reliable as our 16 inch uppers, regardless of dwell time differences. This is not just a guess - we have formally tested many of each with lots of ammo. I have no concern with an 8, 9, or 10 inch barrel length. If a upper does not work well, I would look for other things, but not barrel length.

9mmkungfu
Silent Operator
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:06 am

Re: Noveske 300 AAC BLACKOUT 8" vs. 10" barrels

Post by 9mmkungfu » Sat May 21, 2011 9:12 am

loki*hunter wrote:
9mmkungfu wrote:
scottryan wrote:I went with 10"

My gun has to be double duty as a supersonic CQB fighting gun and as a suppressed gun. I felt the 10" was a better compromise due to the extra velocity and extra back pressure due to more barrel past the gas block.

It also must cycle subsonics without the silencer. Therefore, I used an regular 3.0 oz carbine buffer, not an H buffer.

I went with 10" because I can set it up the same as my other 5.56 short AR-15s. I can use the same railed handguards and light placement as the other guns.
My 8" does not cycle subs, without the suppressor, using a standard carbine buffer.

When I spoke to Noveske about that they said that they leaned toward reliability with supersonic with or without a suppressor and assumed some risk with non-surpressed subsonic loads figuring that most people would not shoot subsonic unless they were suppressed. It seems to me that this is a good tradeoff for the best performance in the most common ways the weapon would be employed.
Yes, sorry I wasn't complaining. I knew full well it was designed to cycle subs only with a can attached, and supers either way. I was just making mention that even with a carbine buffer (as opposed to an H2, or heavier), it did not cycle.

I really like this setup.

goldsabers
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:23 pm

Re: Noveske 300 AAC BLACKOUT 8" vs. 10" barrels

Post by goldsabers » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:43 pm

I'm a newbie here and looking for any assistance anyone can kindly offer regarding who the best vendor might be for buying a Noveske 300 AAC BLACKOUT 8" Upper Receiver Assembly. I'm seeing a range of prices, from $800 to almost $1200. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

bzdog
Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 9:07 pm

Re: Noveske 300 AAC BLACKOUT 8" vs. 10" barrels

Post by bzdog » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:55 pm

9mmkungfu wrote: My 8" does not cycle subs, without the suppressor, using a standard carbine buffer.
Noveske notes this on their web page, even about the 16" I purchased:

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/im ... us=&title=
The Noveske 300 AAC BLACKOUT is designed to run optimally firing both subsonic suppressed and supersonic unsuppressed. This barrel is tuned to lock back on the last round using subsonic 220 and 208 grain ammunition with a sound suppressor. The firearm may not lock back with subsonic 220 and 208 grain ammunition without a sound suppressor. Also, the subsonic 300 BLK ammunition is more susceptible to a malfunction due to carbon fouling and adverse conditions than supersonic ammunition. The barrel is tuned to operate correctly with the back pressure provided by the AAC 762-SDN-6 using an H2 buffer, or a Surefire 762K suppressor and an H buffer.
-john

wacki
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:53 pm

Re: Noveske 300 AAC BLACKOUT 8" vs. 10" barrels

Post by wacki » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:53 pm

300Blk wrote:Our 9 inch uppers are at least as reliable as our 16 inch uppers, regardless of dwell time differences. This is not just a guess - we have formally tested many of each with lots of ammo. I have no concern with an 8, 9, or 10 inch barrel length. If a upper does not work well, I would look for other things, but not barrel length.
Who is "our" and "we"? Are you part of a company or just a bunch of guys testing guns at the range?

vugger
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 12:12 pm
Location: USA

Re: Noveske 300 AAC BLACKOUT 8" vs. 10" barrels

Post by vugger » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:17 pm

wacki wrote:
300Blk wrote:Our 9 inch uppers are at least as reliable as our 16 inch uppers, regardless of dwell time differences. This is not just a guess - we have formally tested many of each with lots of ammo. I have no concern with an 8, 9, or 10 inch barrel length. If a upper does not work well, I would look for other things, but not barrel length.
Who is "our" and "we"? Are you part of a company or just a bunch of guys testing guns at the range?
:shock:

wacki
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:53 pm

Re: Noveske 300 AAC BLACKOUT 8" vs. 10" barrels

Post by wacki » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:42 am

What am I missing? I don't see any company logos on this website. 300Blk's profile is blank as well.

Post Reply