Shorty 300 aac but want a HK416c type stock.

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

kogashuko

Shorty 300 aac but want a HK416c type stock.

Post by kogashuko »

I am tempted to chuck a hunk of aluminum in the lathe and make a smaller buffer tube and some stainless for a shorter heavy buffer. All I need is the actual stock that clamps on to the tube. Has anyone seen one?
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Re: Shorty 300 aac but want a HK416c type stock.

Post by JasonAAC »

kogashuko wrote:I am tempted to chuck a hunk of aluminum in the lathe and make a smaller buffer tube and some stainless for a shorter heavy buffer. All I need is the actual stock that clamps on to the tube. Has anyone seen one?
It's not as simple as making a short tube and buffer. The whole internal arrangement changes...

That said, you can look into the replica M231 stockparts to start you on your way:
http://images.google.com/search?hl=en&b ... =&aql=&oq=
Kick Ass Design
82nd airborne
Silent But Deadly

Post by 82nd airborne »

Looks like the BCG has to be cut down.
Regards,
Aaron Fouraker
Co-Owner
Delta Company Arms, LLC
(918) 332-6503
[email protected]
www.deltacompanyarms.com
IN GOD WE TRUST.
kogashuko

Post by kogashuko »

Looks like tokyo model company has the wire stock. I will have to remove the stock block from the tube and turn down one that will actually fit on the lathe. I am strongly considering stainless for the rear tube also to help balance the weight. As for the shortened buffer, I dont see why it wouldnt work as long as it keeps somewhere near the same mass and shorter spring to match. If I had depleated uranium I could probably make one really short like the length of a 10mm round. The challenge then would be getting a spring that wouldnt bind that short.
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

You can't just shorten the buffer, the action spring needs that length to compress.

I much prefer to shorten the carrier and leave the buffer length/weight the same.

It does change the disassembly process a bit, both the pivot and take down pins need to be disengaged. Then the upper, BCG, and buffer/spring all come out up/forward from the lower.
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/im ... e=&status=
Todd