My 10" 300 BLK (with pics)

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

imyomama
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 428
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:51 pm
Location: texas

Re: My 10" 300 BLK (with pics)

Post by imyomama » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:40 pm

outstanding design on the holder .. please send plans !! I got to make one of those !!
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales

BulletFlight for Android
User avatar
thehouseproduct
Silent Operator
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:16 am

Re: My 10" 300 BLK (with pics)

Post by thehouseproduct » Mon May 16, 2011 9:55 am

Any load data on the 90gr XTP?

User avatar
southbreeze
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:20 am
Location: South MS

Re: My 10" 300 BLK (with pics)

Post by southbreeze » Mon May 16, 2011 11:47 am

Snipecatcher,

That's as sweet a carrying device as I've seen yet! Thanks for sharing the great idea...I'll be doing something like it soon.

Hate to hear of your subsonic troubles. A Noveske upper is on the way to the house and I intended only using SS for predator control. The whole reason I went with 300 blk was because my current 7.62x39 suppressed barreled upper won't stabilize the 220grn EBR SS ammo.

What kind of range are you getting out of supersonic ammo?

Cheers,
Southbreeze

superman007
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:18 pm

Re: My 10" 300 BLK (with pics)

Post by superman007 » Mon May 16, 2011 12:30 pm

Glad you got it going, looks great.

How widespread is the stabilization issue? Any ideas why your having the problems? I assume the steel or rifling methods might be suspect if your having so many issues with the same blanks and provider.

Has anyone with Noveske, AAC, or Delta Company had a similar problem with stability, or wear.

User avatar
JasonAAC
Industry Professional
Posts: 214
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:08 pm
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: My 10" 300 BLK (with pics)

Post by JasonAAC » Mon May 16, 2011 12:59 pm

superman007 wrote:Glad you got it going, looks great.

How widespread is the stabilization issue? Any ideas why your having the problems? I assume the steel or rifling methods might be suspect if your having so many issues with the same blanks and provider.

Has anyone with Noveske, AAC, or Delta Company had a similar problem with stability, or wear.
We have not had any stability issues with factory rounds (or similarly-loaded equivalents) in our barrels.

As for wear, they are so far holding up much much better than anything in 5.56. We are working towards a life expectancy number, but Robert has placed a general expecation on our barrels of around 30,000 rounds.
Kick Ass Design

User avatar
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:34 pm
Location: AZ

Re: My 10" 300 BLK (with pics)

Post by Twinsen » Tue May 17, 2011 3:10 am

Hmm, makes me doubley triple want to go with the Noveske barrel. I just gotta find a builder for this can to be.

snipecatcher
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:38 pm
Location: Texas

Re: My 10" 300 BLK (with pics)

Post by snipecatcher » Tue May 17, 2011 2:24 pm

I really don't have anything to compare my rifle to, at least in a short barrel. The 18" 300 whisper I had before this rifle would stabilize every 30 caliber bullet I tried, including the 240 Matchkings. The barrel blank is a Douglas. It was made by Paladin Machine, who has good reviews all around. I honestly don't know what the problem is, but I've lost all faith in the ability of the 300 BLK to reliably stabilize subsonic bullets in a short barrel. I'm going to stick with 110 V-max bullets at 2150 fps from here on out. I started to draw out plans for the block that holds everything together, but got sidetracked. I'll try to get plans and some pictures up sometime, but the whole thing is really pretty simple.
Regards,
-Dan

User avatar
LYNRDSKYNRD
Silent Operator
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:31 pm
Location: Heart of Dixie

Re: My 10" 300 BLK (with pics)

Post by LYNRDSKYNRD » Tue May 17, 2011 4:26 pm

I would not go foward with the assumption that short barrels will not stabilize subsonic bullets. Unfortunately it sounds like the barrel you have will not, and that sucks. I have shot only subs through my Delta Co. 9" barrel and they stabilize fine and are very accuarate to boot. Sorry you are having such a time with your set up as it is put together really nicely.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because
rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell

User avatar
JasonAAC
Industry Professional
Posts: 214
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:08 pm
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: My 10" 300 BLK (with pics)

Post by JasonAAC » Tue May 17, 2011 7:48 pm

LYNRDSKYNRD wrote:I would not go foward with the assumption that short barrels will not stabilize subsonic bullets. Unfortunately it sounds like the barrel you have will not, and that sucks. I have shot only subs through my Delta Co. 9" barrel and they stabilize fine and are very accuarate to boot. Sorry you are having such a time with your set up as it is put together really nicely.
This is true. Factory 220's have all been fine in the AAC 9", the Noveske 8" and all of the Delta Company SBR barrels I've heard of.
Kick Ass Design

User avatar
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1654
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:50 pm

Re: My 10" 300 BLK (with pics)

Post by Dr.Phil » Wed May 18, 2011 7:23 am

snipecatcher wrote:I really don't have anything to compare my rifle to, at least in a short barrel. The 18" 300 whisper I had before this rifle would stabilize every 30 caliber bullet I tried, including the 240 Matchkings. The barrel blank is a Douglas. It was made by Paladin Machine, who has good reviews all around. I honestly don't know what the problem is, but I've lost all faith in the ability of the 300 BLK to reliably stabilize subsonic bullets in a short barrel. I'm going to stick with 110 V-max bullets at 2150 fps from here on out. I started to draw out plans for the block that holds everything together, but got sidetracked. I'll try to get plans and some pictures up sometime, but the whole thing is really pretty simple.
Regards,
-Dan
I would be pretty pissed if I were you.
This is the first I have heard of anyone having stability issues with 300 BLK / 300 Whisper(r) with subsonics rounds when using a short barrel.
As long as the twist rate is 1-8, there shouldn't be any issues.

You really should insist on a refund or replacement.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain

Post Reply