Brass last how many subsonic reloads? Carbide dies work?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

jasonusvi
Silent But Deadly

Brass last how many subsonic reloads? Carbide dies work?

Post by jasonusvi »

I'm relatively new to the 300BLK and have two questions as I build up my supply of reloading components. 1) How many subsonic reloads (and/or supersonic to compare) can one expect out of this brass? 2) Would carbide dies work for 300BLK or only with non bottleneck pistol brass?

I see some guys getting very high reload counts with 45acp brass and am curious about what might be expected with 300BLK
A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. – P. J. O'Rourke
300Blk
Site Admin

Re: Brass last how many subsonic reloads? Carbide dies work

Post by 300Blk »

Some dies seem to work without lube but I think it depends on the chamber it is shot in.

The Remington brass is awesome. The primers are sealed and it has an extra step in the manufacturing process to harden just the case head so that it lasts in the primer area. Remington tested it with 10 cycles of reloading. It also has the necks annealed, and then left unpolished to allow for visible verification of annealing.
selph arms llc
Industry Professional

Post by selph arms llc »

jasonusvi wrote:I'm relatively new to the 300 and have two questions as I build up my supply of reloading components. 1) How many subsonic reloads (and/or supersonic to compare) can one expect out of this brass? 2) Would carbide dies work for 300BLK or only with non bottleneck pistol brass?
I took my deer and hogs with a load I got from 1911man, it is going out of a 16” barrel at 2275 FPS.
• Barnes 130gr TTSX bullets
• Hogdon H-110 18gr
• Remington 7 ½ small rifle primers
• OAL 2.160
• Brass converted by hoser http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewt ... 45&t=63339
Selph Arms LLC
07 FFL/Class 2 SOT

Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

Did my first test batch with my typical Redding Imerial Wax lube and just for giggles thought that I would try some without.
With the Forster Dies and Noveske chamber, I didn't need lube.
(This is with PMC 5.56 brass cut down to accomidate 300 BLK.)
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
2bad4u2
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2bad4u2 »

jasonusvi wrote:I'm relatively new to the 300BLK and have two questions as I build up my supply of reloading components. 1) How many subsonic reloads (and/or supersonic to compare) can one expect out of this brass? 2) Would carbide dies work for 300BLK or only with non bottleneck pistol brass?

I see some guys getting very high reload counts with 45acp brass and am curious about what might be expected with 300BLK
I have no experience with 300 BLK or the parent Whisper cartridge, however, it would stand to reason that shooting subsonics will be far more forgiving on brass life than shooting supersonic loads.

If this were a bolt gun instead of an AR, brass life would be even better because you aren't necessarily full lenght re-sizing every time you reload.

I'm pleased to hear that Remington has paid some extra attention to detail in the manufacturing process. Robert, when can we expect the brass to become commercially available?

I plan on shooting a bolt gun using subsonic only rounds with cast lead bullets. With the new Remington brass, I suspect brass life will be indefinite.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

There will be brass but I am not sure when. I am thinking soon after the Shot Show. So far if I had brass packaged it would take away from the run size of the loaded ammo. By Jan or Feb the loaded ammo will be caught up enough that I will want to give the go-ahead to put aside some shells.
2bad4u2
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2bad4u2 »

silencertalk wrote:There will be brass but I am not sure when. I am thinking soon after the Shot Show. So far if I had brass packaged it would take away from the run size of the loaded ammo. By Jan or Feb the loaded ammo will be caught up enough that I will want to give the go-ahead to put aside some shells.
Will it be available through standard Remington distributors? I live in Canada and the only way I can conceivably get the brass is through Remington. It's not likely that any dealer stateside would be willing to go to a bunch of trouble filling out export documents for relatively small quantities of brass.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Well, at first it will just be bulk brass in 2000 case boxes and if someone wanted less than that there would be some dealers who would break it up. Eventually it will be in Remington 100 case bags and so normal Remington distributors would have it. Mostly I am trying to support small commercial ammo loaders who need brass to make ammo. It will be at MidwayUSA.
2bad4u2
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2bad4u2 »

silencertalk wrote:Well, at first it will just be bulk brass in 2000 case boxes and if someone wanted less than that there would be some dealers who would break it up. Eventually it will be in Remington 100 case bags and so normal Remington distributors would have it. Mostly I am trying to support small commercial ammo loaders who need brass to make ammo. It will be at MidwayUSA.
I think 300 BLK will really take off once brass is commercially available. I believe there's a significant portion of potential customers/adopters that just don't want to purchase ammunition or mess with making brass, regardless of wether it's easy to do so or not.

Nothing stopping a guy from initally buying some off the shelf ammo for the brass once it's fired. I doubt the ammo will be available in Canada. It's limited volume of sales and the cost to get it past our federal government's regulatory body for commercial sale will probably make it a difficult and an unecessary expense for Remington.

Up here, the brass doesn't require government approval for commercial sale. Its availabilty will determine (to a significant extent) wether or not the 300 BLK succeeds here.

Thanks for the info Robert.
I8asquirrel
Senior Silent Operator

Post by I8asquirrel »

I have loaded some of mine for a bolt gun 12 times now. This cartridge is very easy on brass when loaded subsonic. I have one had to trim a few thousandths from like 3 cases. I dont think my AR will be as nice to the brass It seems to dent the side upon ejection and I think that will take out the case sooner or later! Good Luck