This looks like a perfect addition to a M700 in 300 BO!

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

tmix

This looks like a perfect addition to a M700 in 300 BO!

Post by tmix »

Not a bad price considering other detachable magazine systems on the market.
I wonder how much of a PITA it is to install one of these?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpW4QG-t ... r_embedded
https://dbmg-llc.3dcartstores.com/Detac ... _p_26.html
I'm seriously considering one for a 5.56 build in the future.
[size=150]Machine gun snob by proxy. [/size]
[img]http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x190/tmixon762/Colt_Automatic_Rifle_01.jpg[/img]
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Re: This looks like a perfect addition to a M700 in 300 BO!

Post by Selectedmarksman »

Would be sweet with a Beta Mag.

The word is feeding from an AR mag feels like, well, feeding from an AR mag. Not nearly as smooth and nice as a magazine and follower made for the rifle, internal or otherwise. Still, I'd like to try one out for myself.
"I had the old man keep it pushed in while I strong-armed her. " -- copenhagen
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

I would use 10 rounders. Having a 30 in the photo looks bad. You can't shoot prone.
goteron
Senior Silent Operator

Post by goteron »

With 20s you can probably prone. I like it
Unity Tactical
www.UnityTactical.com
www.Facebook.com/UnityTacticalLLC

What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst
this world can’t satisfy
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

I thought it was weird that their ad says it is an economical alternative to a semi-auto rifle. I'm certain you can get an AR for the price of a Rem 700 plus that $300 bottom metal. Still, I like it for other reasons. It's still cheaper than an AICS.
"I had the old man keep it pushed in while I strong-armed her. " -- copenhagen
goteron
Senior Silent Operator

Post by goteron »

Dangit, just when I was set on a TC instead, now this.
Unity Tactical
www.UnityTactical.com
www.Facebook.com/UnityTacticalLLC

What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst
this world can’t satisfy
I8asquirrel
Senior Silent Operator

Post by I8asquirrel »

Thats freaking awsome!!
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

I've looked at the design for doing one of these and you have to remove the rails that are part of the receiver (confirmed in their text). This is essentially a one way trip for the conversion so keep that in mind. It looks like a nice well thought out design.
Firearms Engineer for hire on piece work basis.
No job is too expensive :)
http://home.comcast.net/~sfischer397/index.htm]Mongo's Home Page
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

I also think we discussed this concept before here somewhere, but I could be wrong.

I would want to feel how easy the bolt moves before I tried this. The amount of upward spring pressure on a semi-auto magazine vs. bolt, lever, or pump actions is usually pretty substantial. I thought having one of those Remington pump guns that take the AR mags seemed like a good idea until someone warned me of this and then I tried it myself. It's hard to tell in the video just how hard he's having to work to close the bolt. I imagine it might be better/easier with Pmags, and that you might could even cut down the springs to reduce the tension. On an autoloader the magazine really needs to get that next round up and ready for chamber quickly. Very quickly. On a manual action the immediacy is greatly reduced. No matter how fast you manually cycle a bolt there's no way you're moving as fast as an auto.

High spring pressure induces more friction between the round and the feedlips, which means more force required by the shooter to overcome that friction and get the round into the chamber.

Food for thought. If these guys have figured out a way to overcome that I'd be interested in a 300 with that mod.
WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET
tmix

Post by tmix »

rob_s wrote:I also think we discussed this concept before here somewhere, but I could be wrong.

I would want to feel how easy the bolt moves before I tried this. The amount of upward spring pressure on a semi-auto magazine vs. bolt, lever, or pump actions is usually pretty substantial. I thought having one of those Remington pump guns that take the AR mags seemed like a good idea until someone warned me of this and then I tried it myself. It's hard to tell in the video just how hard he's having to work to close the bolt. I imagine it might be better/easier with Pmags, and that you might could even cut down the springs to reduce the tension. On an autoloader the magazine really needs to get that next round up and ready for chamber quickly. Very quickly. On a manual action the immediacy is greatly reduced. No matter how fast you manually cycle a bolt there's no way you're moving as fast as an auto.

High spring pressure induces more friction between the round and the feedlips, which means more force required by the shooter to overcome that friction and get the round into the chamber.

Food for thought. If these guys have figured out a way to overcome that I'd be interested in a 300 with that mod.
I aggree with this 100% and see exactly why this could be an issue.
However, I don't think it would be too difficult to overcome. Either with brute force by working the bolt with more force than normal, or by tuning the spring in the mag. I think a 20 round mag would be easy enough, since it doesn't have to push the rounds around a curve.

Now, if someone were to come out with a .223 AICS magazine that held 20 rounds, I'd buy that instead.
[size=150]Machine gun snob by proxy. [/size]
[img]http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x190/tmixon762/Colt_Automatic_Rifle_01.jpg[/img]