Forster die

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

300Blk
Site Admin

Re: Forster die

Post by 300Blk »

TonyT wrote:But my Forster definitely let's the brass stay .362 ish in the area you are describing on freshly formed LC brass.
Maybe your shell plate is not allowing the die in enough to bump the shoulder? Does not mean the die is out of spec. Could be the shell holder. We don't yet know yet.

This looks useful:

http://www.larrywillis.com/
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

I have this, and just checked my bump:

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/sid=6 ... 278_d_5599

My Forster die did a 0.004 bump when set to cam-over. My Hornady die did a 0.010 bump.

I am glad you brought this to my attention as now if I use the Hornady die I need to back it out about 0.006 (I would say 0.008 except I don't just load ammo for my rifle).
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

Just received my dies over the weekend.
I also picked up a Redding "Instant Indicator" die in .223 to use with my 300 BLK & .556 setup.
(All you have to do is replace the .224 bushing with a .308 one and you are good to go.)
I'm not sure how the datum measuring point between the .223 & 300 BLK will translate, but I planned on using it for COAL measurement anyway.
(Plus it gave me an excuse to buy one since I've haven't been able to justify the expense until now.)

I won't have a chance to chamber check anything until I receive my barrel from Noveske.
I would consider myself a fairly seasoned hand loader though.
I will do a standard setup with the FL Forster Die and post up my measurements.

P.S.
For those of you that haven't read the "Reloading 101" thread that was referenced inside of the post that Robert just referenced, it is an excellent source of information.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthr ... t=4&page=1
The author of the thread is a friend that I shoot with regularly.
I have my own variation on how he does things, but most reloaders do as they get more experienced.
He is also the US Optics East Sales Rep.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
TonyT
Silent Operator

Post by TonyT »

When I get home I'll size some cases on a single stage press and see if the shellholder makes a difference. It very well may be headspace. I have been using a SSK 300W contender barrel to check and adjust headspace. (rough method, but has worked for years and years)
Don't redistribute my wealth, redistribute my work ethic!
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

I just don't yet understand why some people say do not use spray lubes and one must use Imperial Wax. What is supposed to be so bad about spray lubes? I have both. The spray lubes seem much faster to me than wiping wax on every case.
TonyT
Silent Operator

Post by TonyT »

Me either! I do such huge batches, I cant think of any way but spray lube. I cover the bottom of a rubbermade tub in a couple of layers of brass, spray, shake, spray, shake, pour in the case feeder and go. I use a 650 with ponsness motor drive to size/trim .223 and to form 300w/AAC BLK, then tumble to remove the lube and clean, then pour in the casefeeder of the 1050. With 223 I dont use a sizer in the 1050, as it is the first station in the 650, but with BLK I do because the neck still has to be expanded/sized after forming. I have fired about 200 rds of 220 gr/ 11.2 1680 loads and they are quiet! (762SD) Runs great too. Fired a couple of mags of supersonic with wc820 and 145 gr tracer, but even at 14.5 gr I have pretty bad pressure signs. Velocity was averaging 1700. May have to just use 110. Anyone have load data for tracers? I have a pile of them I want to use.
TonyT
Silent Operator

Post by TonyT »

Just took some fresh measurements: here is oal as formed/ trimmed

Here is where I am measureing, and diameter:

Here is after sizing in the Forster die, single stage rcbs press and shell holder:

Trying in a ssk 300w bbl( as far as it will go):

After sizing w/hornady die:

And trying in ssk bbl:

Still stumped. :(
Any ideas appreciated, thanks guys!
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

0.362 is within spec for where you are measuring it.
TonyT
Silent Operator

Post by TonyT »

Anything else you can think of? Very perplexing, as this is the only measurement I can find different with calipers (no headspace gauge ) . Thanks
TonyT
Silent Operator

Post by TonyT »

I'm thinking it's not headspace now, as I tried it on a single stage press and set it to cam over, with the same results.