Model 7 or 700 with detach mag?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Curlymaple42

Model 7 or 700 with detach mag?

Post by Curlymaple42 »

Just curious of any possibility of the .300BLK being done in a bolt gun with a magwell that will take an AR mag. Remington did or does the pump .223 carbine with an AR magwell but it is kinda silly priced. But either that pump rebarreled in .300BLK or a bolt gun with mag well would be sweet!! Oh, the pump is the 7615 model I think.
www.50beowulf.com/forum admin
www.wildcherrywoodworks.com
Fine Custom Furniture & Firearm Displays
este
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Model 7 or 700 with detach mag?

Post by este »

The pump is kind of an interesting idea, but I'm not sold on that gun yet.

However, the CZ-527 has a detachable mag from the box, smaller and lighter than the model7 (and of course the 700), cheaper depending on the options, and a huge advantage over the model 7 is it does NOT come in mossy oak.

Since it's a '98 mauser style bolt, it has fully controlled feed and extraction, meaning the short 300BLK cases won't act any differently than the 223 cases. There have been quite a few people on quarterbore/whisper forums having issues with the 700 not extracting 100%. In fact, a quick search over there and you'll see the 527 is very popular for whisper (and thus so 300BLK) builds.

Remember that the people here work for Remington so all guns recommended may be biased a little bit. Another recommendation is that Savages can swap barrels far more easily than other bolt guns.

Edit: Also, if you do stick with Remington, the AI mags are by FAR the best I've ever used on a 700. The 223 ones even come in steel and plastic iirc. But, depending on how they line up the bullets they may need modification like the CZ mags.
Curlymaple42

Re: Model 7 or 700 with detach mag?

Post by Curlymaple42 »

Yeh, the 527 is a good option too. I thought first about the Savage because of it's ease in barrel swapping. Like you said, the folks around here will certainly be a bit biased towards the Remington builds. That's fine though. Remington and AAC are bringing it to the front, so they have a right to do that. The best thing is that they are opening it up outside of license BS which has hindered so terribly "other" AR calibers. Cheers to AAC and Rem!!!!
www.50beowulf.com/forum admin
www.wildcherrywoodworks.com
Fine Custom Furniture & Firearm Displays