300 BLACKOUT scope poll

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Which zoom range?

1-3x zoom so I can go down to 1x.
19%
1.5-5x zoom as I would rather go up to 5x
61%
Illuminated 1x fixed to save weight and cost.
12%
Fixed 4x
9%

Total votes: 223

tmix

Re: 300 BLACKOUT scope poll

Post by tmix »

Me likey!
[size=150]Machine gun snob by proxy. [/size]
[img]http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x190/tmixon762/Colt_Automatic_Rifle_01.jpg[/img]
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

I think you're just being silly not going with easy range adjustments with subsonic rounds. I say FFP Leupold with some magnification. Somewhere from 1.5x-3x.

I don't really like adjustable power scopes, but I've never had a FFP scope before to get over that.

However, the BDC mount with custom markings sounds fantastic. The upside is having a much better picture of your target at distance, instead of having it bottomed out on your optic. The downside is having to play with your optic. Since you have the drop data for subs and supers, you could have a bunch of them set up with the right markings for drop. But do they make those for magnified optics or just little aimpoints? I want to shoot the thing out to 300 yards and be able to have a hope-and-pray setting possibly out further that'll get me minute of bad guy on a calm day.
goteron
Senior Silent Operator

Post by goteron »

Keep in mind you have a lot of support and acceptance for the T-1s. If you drop in am Aimpoint Twist Mount Base behind the mount you now have the option of putting a 3x magnifier or PVS-14 (In TNVC TM-14 Adapter) on it. You can use the optic setup for things other than 300BLK (As all you would have to do is change the BDC knob.) T-1s are already being used by a lot of shooters and the H-1's are relatively cheap, add the mount and you are all set to go.

If you havent shot a T-1 at distance, you would be surprised how accurate they are (even with a 3.5MOA dot). You can turn the brightness down and use the top of the dot as a reference. The T-1 is solidly built, lightweight, and reliable. Not to mention no reticles to deal with other manufacturers, just make your own BDC knob or contract with Ma-tech / LWRC or whoever owns the design.

Though im not a fan of the size of the mount (too long!) I would buy one. With the ACR, I could swap barrels, bolts, BDC knobs, re-zero and be ready to go.
Unity Tactical
www.UnityTactical.com
www.Facebook.com/UnityTacticalLLC

What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst
this world can’t satisfy
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

The Prismatic has a horrible reputation, FWIW.

What about a Compact ACOG? Can be run at close range with the lens cap closed and the cap can easily be flipped open for distance.

I think application is key here. If you're talking bench shooting then there is going to be a different set of criteria than 3-gun, different perhaps than hunting, different perhaps than military use, different than police use.
WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

goteron wrote: The reticle would definately be faster, but comes with limitations as well. I am not sure how many positions are on the BDC knob, but for the 300BLK you could have a 100 and 100S (Suppressed), or just have two knobs for. You could also sell knobs that do not have machined flats and let people machine / get theirs machined for their hand-loads or setup.

I would setup mine something like this

100 - 0
20 / 30 - (that is 200 yards sub, 300 yards super)
25 / 40 - 250 Sub / 400 Super
30 / 45 - (300 yards sub / 45 super)
500 - 500 Super

Or something similar, I am only interetsed in sub to maybe 300 yards, so you could work something out. Bottom line is you can configure how you want.

Also you can use a 3x mag in a QD mount behind the T-1, off when you want light, on when you want magnification
Good points on the mount BDC.

I really like the looks of this scope and mount and if I already didn't have an Elcan 145C on my LMG I would seriously consider one of these. But given MATECH does not sell their BUIS to civilians then I guess these are most likely also restricted.
Firearms Engineer for hire on piece work basis.
No job is too expensive :)
http://home.comcast.net/~sfischer397/index.htm]Mongo's Home Page
robpiat
Silent Operator

Post by robpiat »

How about an eotech? They obviously can do different reticles?
Bullseye_Josh

Post by Bullseye_Josh »

What about the Trijicon TR24? I believe it's a FFP reticle. Nice and clear on 1X, Fiber Optic and tritium, but also, a reticle if for some reason neither was available or under a washout scenario. Variable power from 1 to 4. BDC option in that optic for 300AAC would be a definite purchase for me.
alleycat72

Post by alleycat72 »

I used this for a while. http://www.rapidreticle.com/22lr3-9x32.htm
Then I put a Leupold with a custom reticle for supersonic and a custom knob for the subsonic.
They both work good for what I do with it. (Deer hunt)
www.1050fps.com
http://www.outlawstatebullets.com/
goteron
Senior Silent Operator

Post by goteron »

You also could just use a Horus reticle.
Unity Tactical
www.UnityTactical.com
www.Facebook.com/UnityTacticalLLC

What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst
this world can’t satisfy
jppd47
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by jppd47 »

not reading the rest of the post...

I have a MRT 1.5-5 and love it form my M4, but its big

With a 9in barrel, I'd want something compact, but able to have some zoom
so 1-3x sounds good as long as its fairly small.
pro-gun gun owners are a minority.
Fair Use applies (U.S. Code Title 17 Chapter 1 Subsection 107)