Red Dot Sight/Compact Optic for 300 BLACKOUT PDW

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

300Blk
Site Admin

Re: Red Dot Sight/Compact Optic for 300 BLACKOUT PDW

Post by 300Blk »

The Leupold Delta Point has a circuit to turn on when you move it, and turn off when at rest. It also has a nice sharp triangle. The battery should last years because it will automatically be off when stored.
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

For the T1/H1, American defense has a cool modular system-

get the base:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/American ... 20base.htm

Then pick your spacer- co-witness or lower third:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/American ... spacer.htm
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/American ... spacer.htm

Cool thing about this is the base will also work with other optics (with appropriate spacer) like the M4
Kick Ass Design
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Interesting. I had seen the American Defense mounts recently, but I didn't know much about their reputation.

So what's the story with LaRue (i.e. why do people here seem to despise him)? Would it be an adulteration to put a LaRue mount on an AAC upper? I would hate to be scorned for doing so. :)
"Common sense should be rebranded as uncommon practical knowledge of things you should know.”-nolwark76
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

You can put LaRue sights on an AAC upper.
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

700PSS wrote:Interesting. I had seen the American Defense mounts recently, but I didn't know much about their reputation.

So what's the story with LaRue (i.e. why do people here seem to despise him)? Would it be an adulteration to put a LaRue mount on an AAC upper? I would hate to be scorned for doing so. :)
I have no problem with the quality of his mounts. they are good to go.
Kick Ass Design
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

700PSS wrote:Not looking to spend the most $ possible on the optic, but well above the cheap level.
Aimpoint Comp C3 in an ADM mount. The T1 is nice but I find head placement must be more precise and the smaller size doesn't really make the gun smaller in an appreciable way. I think I may try to mount my T1 on a shotgun where the low height matters, I've gone back to full size Aimpoints in my AR's.

The lower 1/3rd RDS height was not made with any concern for the front sight, it's better for some people. This slightly more heads up position can be better for shooting and moving while the better cheekweld can be an advantage for slower more precise shooting. The size of your head and your shooting stance makes it a preference type of decision. If I shoulder an M4 with co witness RDS I will be looking at my target with the dot about 2/3 from the bottom.
Todd
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

Dr.Phil wrote:My choice for a 1x optic is the Gen III Trijicon Tri-Power with an A.R.M.S. Throw Lever Mount.
Reason being, the chevron makes for extreemly fast aquisition.
By using the tip of the chevron it is also more accurate than a red dot optic since it does not obscure any of the target.
+1
NFAtalk.org
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

-k- wrote: Aimpoint Comp C3 in an ADM mount. The T1 is nice but I find head placement must be more precise
I have experienced this as well and was damn near lynched for saying so in some places. Firing in unconventional positions (meaning not the named "unconventional positions" like SBU prone, rollover prone, reverse rollover prone, brokeback prone, etc. but actual situationaly-dependent and therefore un-named unconventional positions) the dot of the smaller sights is harder to find.

I like the C3 with 2 MOA dot in ADM mount as well, and it can be had for $465+/- as a package deal from some vendors. I recommend this setup to first-time AR shooters more than any other. ADM mounts can be finicky and you do have to RTFM but I have not had one fail or seen one fail, although someone did send me one that is non-functional.
WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET
nevermiss

Post by nevermiss »

I have an H1 on a LaRue Mount and an Eotech (as well as a couple other RDSs). Although I've read many of the advantages of the Aimpoint and heard of the shortcomings of hte Eotech, for some reason, my eye/brain interface seems to prefer the FOV and circle/dot reticle in the Eotech. I'll probably pick up an XPS model when I get my 300 BLK. Although, I would like to spend some time behind the various Trijion RMR to see how they work.

I don't chase bad guys for a living so this is also a consideration.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

The RMR is great option as well, but it is tiny and suffers from the same type issues as the Aimpoint Micro.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain