Red Dot Sight/Compact Optic for 300 BLACKOUT PDW

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

300Blk
Site Admin

Re: Red Dot Sight/Compact Optic for 300 BLACKOUT PDW

Post by 300Blk »

I was always interested in those. Tell me again why they are not popular? Every time someone says why they don't like them I can't parse their reasoning.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

The main reason that they get dinged is because of the fiber doughnut on top.
At night, it glows like you wouldn't believe. (Looks like a beacon that screams "SHOOT HERE" when seen by NVGs.)
In response to this, the latest generation Trijicon Tri-Powers come with a cover that fits tightly in place over top on the fiber optic area.

I have had mine for over three years now and absolutely love it.
That chevron makes for some really quick snap shots!
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

Ah the Tripower. I really, really wanted to like these things. They do suffer, to some extent, from issues relating to the initial models that have been addressed (sometimes in a half-assed way) on the current models. IIRC the initial production even had a little compartment for a mini glow-stick. :lol:

The complaint about the glow is real, and the cover is one of those half-assed solutions, but the real issue is that in the environments where it would be used you really need the battery, and IIRC the battery life is hideously low, and if you're just going to run the battery why not use an Aimpoint or Eotech, not to mention that the reticule doesn't offer much benefit in those situations.

I'd still like to spend some more time with a current production model, but I don't have high hopes.

Now, if Trijicon could find a way to provide a battery-enhanced version of the Compact ACOG... that I'd be very interested in. Glow or no glow.
WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

I know in theory you can leave an AIMPOINT on, as long as you remember to change the batteries. I did find mine in the vault dead once. I still see appeal in a sight that works without battery power when you first grab it for home defense, and then you can turn on the light if you have time.
goteron
Senior Silent Operator

Post by goteron »

I would say T-1 or H-1 in a Larue mount, they have some of the best prices for the optic / mount. I really wanted to like the tri-power too (But not the ARMS mount), after handling one, I wasnt impressed. The T-1 gets the battery changed every year and keeps on ticking. With all of the bad AAR's on eotechs failing in classes, i would never put one on a gun again.
Unity Tactical
www.UnityTactical.com
www.Facebook.com/UnityTacticalLLC

What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst
this world can’t satisfy
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

silencertalk wrote:I know in theory you can leave an AIMPOINT on, as long as you remember to change the batteries. I did find mine in the vault dead once. I still see appeal in a sight that works without battery power when you first grab it for home defense, and then you can turn on the light if you have time.
Remember, this is made by the same people that make the ACOG. Not sure how much experience you have with the ACOG indoors but IMHO the brightness on it and the Tripower is lacking in those kinds of situations. There are workarounds (I keep a front lens cover on my ACOG and keep it flipped down) but at a certain point the question becomes "if I have to turn it on anyway, why not just use the Aimpoint?"

I change my Aimpiont battery in my HD gun every 6 months. Never found it dead on the gun since starting to do this, and it stays on 24/7 for the last two years with this cycle. Birthday and 6 months later.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

BTW: The KAC mount for Aimpoint Micro T-1 is not currently available and when I spoke with KAC this morning, they said they will produce more "when someone places a large order for it." I take that to mean "not any time soon and maybe never."
"Common sense should be rebranded as uncommon practical knowledge of things you should know.”-nolwark76
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

rob_s wrote:The complaint about the glow is real, and the cover is one of those half-assed solutions, but the real issue is that in the environments where it would be used you really need the battery, and IIRC the battery life is hideously low, and if you're just going to run the battery why not use an Aimpoint or Eotech, not to mention that the reticule doesn't offer much benefit in those situations.
Yes, the battery life is VERY low and they are an odd size to boot...
The funny thing is that I have never shot with it using the battery.
For me the light gathering of the fiber doughnut or the Tritium have been perfect.
(Open range, shoot house, and shooting from vehicles.)
The doughnut is a very low tech way of having automatic brightness control without all of the electronics of the Leupold Delta point for instance.

I also run it with an ARD on it 100% of the time.
This has the added benifit of requiring me to keep both eyes open at all times otherwise the reticle is tough to pick up.
I think this is also the reason it works so well for me.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

Dr.Phil wrote:I also run it with an ARD on it 100% of the time.
This has the added benifit of requiring me to keep both eyes open at all times otherwise the reticle is tough to pick up.
I think this is also the reason it works so well for me.
I think that works similarly to my ACOG with lens cap closed. Same thing, requires both eyes to stay open. Still dimmer than I'd ideally like, and I've never found Trijicon's claim of "self adjusting brightness" to work out for me.

Like I said, I'd still like to play with a current production Tripower a bit more, but don't have any impetus to do so as I don't see an improvement over my Aimpoints.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

It seems that "LaRue" is viewed with great disdain around here. Don't know the history, but here is an available QD mount that offers perfect co-witness:

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactic ... bok?no=475

So what do you think?
"Common sense should be rebranded as uncommon practical knowledge of things you should know.”-nolwark76