LMT Enhanced BCG Compatibility

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

300Blk
Site Admin

Re: LMT Enhanced BCG Compatibility

Post by 300Blk »

The main benefit of the AAC group is the extractor spring configuration, which we will sell for $12 for a 3 pack.

The remaining benefit is that I trust in how dimensionally correct (to the drawing) the bolt and carrier is, which is not to be taken for granted. But I don't have data on how good or bad every other brand is in that regard except that during selection I ruled out several vendors after taking measurements and looking at drawings.

I have a Colt Delta Elite which the dust cover was cut off center and so was not made to the govt drawing, but they refused to fix it without charging about $400 because I refinished it and/or because it was out of the warranty period. So I kind of lost faith in that as the answer to correct parts.

Tell me about the LWRC cam pin. How does it differ?
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

The LWRC Enhanced Bolt Cam Pin is rounded at different radiuses where required around the head of the pin.
It has directional markings on the head to ensure that it is properly oriented when assembling the BCG.
The pin is also coated with LWRC's proprietary nickel plating that adds lubricity as well as strength.
This is the only cam pin that I have come across that has not been marked or gouged in the area where it contacts the bolt carrier cam path.
(After several thousand rounds, no marks at all.)

My theory is that LWRC developed this product due to the increased load on cam pins in a piston environment.
http://www.lwrci.com/showproduct.aspx?P ... ed-cam-pin
POF USA developed their roller pin presumably for the same reasons.
http://www.pof-usa.com/parts/arparts.htm
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Can you measure the diameter with a micrometer? I am curious to see if they allowed for the thickness of the plating. I have had plated parts before that were oversized.
firefighter509
Silent Operator

Post by firefighter509 »

silencertalk wrote:Except that LMTs comments about 'when it will work' are highly undefined.

You cannot make any prediction about what will work from this chart.

Basically, you need to test it for thousands of rounds, like AAC did with the bolt carriers we picked. We ruled out a very popular brand because it did significantly more cam pin damage to the upper than others.

There is not a single bolt carrier group which I feel is better than the AAC. Maybe we should sell them.

So do you make these? or do you have them made elsewhere to spec? or just buying another product?

BTW, If you are going to sell them PLEASE Mark on them exposed dust cover section with the "skull and cross rifles"

THIS WOULD BE SWEET and well worth the extra cost.

J
I MAY DIE IN A DITCH, BUT I WILL BE LYING IN A BED OF BRASS!
LIKE REGAN WATCH THIS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49zqB6qV7hI&feature=related
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

Sure...
I'll bring my pin into work tomorrow and mic all the dimensions.
If I get the chance I'll do a photo shoot as well...
--Mark Twain
firefighter509
Silent Operator

Post by firefighter509 »

Dr.Phil wrote:The LWRC Enhanced Bolt Cam Pin is rounded at different radiuses where required around the head of the pin.
It has directional markings on the head to ensure that it is properly oriented when assembling the BCG.
The pin is also coated with LWRC's proprietary nickel plating that adds lubricity as well as strength.
This is the only cam pin that I have come across that has not been marked or gouged in the area where it contacts the bolt carrier cam path.
(After several thousand rounds, no marks at all.)

My theory is that LWRC developed this product due to the increased load on cam pins in a piston environment.
http://www.lwrci.com/showproduct.aspx?P ... ed-cam-pin
POF USA developed their roller pin presumably for the same reasons.
http://www.pof-usa.com/parts/arparts.htm

I use the POF Roller cam system on all my piston and gas impingement uppers, especially after having a piston upper scared to shit by hard recoil and the drag of the normal cam "on a POF system" Likewise I could not be happier they make a really really smooth system.
Last edited by firefighter509 on Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LIKE REGAN WATCH THIS:
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Not looking for all dims, I just want to know if the cylinder is within specs.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

We have them made to our specs and control them to drawings. For the bolts we use Freedom Group's stash of C158 steel. After seeing how much trouble that is to buy a mill run I am fairly suspect that companies who claim their steel is better than C158 probably just cannot afford to buy a few tons of it at a time.
firefighter509
Silent Operator

Post by firefighter509 »

silencertalk wrote:We have them made to our specs and control them to drawings. For the bolts we use Freedom Group's stash of C158 steel. After seeing how much trouble that is to buy a mill run I am fairly suspect that companies who claim their steel is better than C158 probably just cannot afford to buy a few tons of it at a time.

If you sell them count me in, I will for sure buy one!!!
LIKE REGAN WATCH THIS:
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

Here are some pics of the LWRC Enhanced Cam Pin
Notice how asymmetric the head is...
This pin has seen thousands of rounds of use in my LMT Enhanced BCG and shows no signs of wear or gouge.
All other pins that I have tried have gotten significantly gouged in less than a couple hundred rounds.
(Oddly, the worst gouging is done to the pin during the locking stage while the BCG is returning to battery.)

As per your request Robert, here are the dimensions:
.806" length
.308" Width
Head = .380" x .319"
--Mark Twain