300 AAC BLACKOUT BLACK RIFLE owner's manual

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

300Blk
Site Admin

300 AAC BLACKOUT BLACK RIFLE owner's manual

Post by 300Blk »

Stickman
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300 AAC BLACKOUT BLACK RIFLE owner's manual

Post by Stickman »

Nicely done imaging in the manual.
Stick

I've done work photography work with 45 or so manufacturers within the firearm community, my images have been used for catalogs, magazines, covers, etc. I have also shot work for the US Military. I am prior service and a full time LEO.

I now also shoot and write for Military Times. My primary focus will stay with weapons, accessories and related equipment reviews. Manufacturers can reach me through any of the boards. Have something new? Let me know.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stickgunner
RyanB

Post by RyanB »

Very well put together, but the manipulations are behind the times.
robk

Post by robk »

RyanB wrote:Very well put together, but the manipulations are behind the times.
I don't think 11 page pdf file was meant to be "The Art of the Dynamic Blackout" it's just the basics of how the parts function written for the lowest common denominator.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

What manipulations? I can change it if you find a few outdated things and come up with alternate working.
RyanB

Post by RyanB »

Headed to bed, here's a quick couple of thoughts, I don't think my suggestions would be controversial either.

Assuming a right handed shooter:

Charging should be done left handed with the right hand in a firing grip.

Immediate action should be "Push Pull Rack and Roll." Push the magazine up, pull on it to be sure it's seated, and rack the charging handle once to reload while turning the rifle out so that loose cases fall free. Many trainers don't teach turning it outboard. Either way it's basically "Tap Rack Bang" for the AR15, pulling on the magazine because unseated magazines are common. No need to use the forward assist in immediate action at all.

The section on remedial action is probably entirely appropriate for a manual, but there is lots to master about remedial action drills, and it's best done in a class.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

In the parts description photo the takedown pin line is actually pointing to the safety selector stop.
SomeOtherGuy
Senior Silent Operator

Post by SomeOtherGuy »

Nice manual. It covers all I reasonably expect in a standard owner's manual, plus some extras on durability and what aftermarket parts aren't worth using.

On page 8, top left, it says to stagger the gas rings. All I've read lately is that that old requirement is bunk. Unless you disagree, I would delete the provision and just say to inspect for missing gas rings. Maybe mention the test of whether the extended bolt will support the weight of the carrier.

While the manipulations aren't what most people would use today, I don't think the latest school of thought belongs in a basic owner's manual. Leave it for appropriate instruction.

I notice that the manual lists Bushmaster part #s for the extractor, extractor pin, and cam pin. For the first two I've seen your posts on m4c regarding S2 steel and proper manufacture. Does Bushmaster follow those strict TDP requirements? If not, why not have an AAC part and list the AAC part #?
|||Honey Badger is my co-pilot, God has overwatch.|||
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

I agree it is bunk. The designer must have copied that from an existing manual. It needs a few updates but I don't think we can get to them soon.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »