Barrel lengths

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Re: Barrel lengths

Post by JasonAAC »

silentbushmaster wrote:Since suppressors are being used, I don't see muzzle blast being an issue. Since ammo prices have yet to be posted, that at this point is a non issue. It does have the reliability of sub sonic use, while the 6.8 SPC can and has sub sonic loads. The 6.8 SPC does have brass available. While the 300Blackout may have a very slim advantage in a very short barrel, it does start to loose ground with longer barrels. Don't get me wrong, the 300 Blackout has a place, I would use it more for sub sonic use.
The muzzle blast is an issue as the 300BLK was not developed only as a suppressed round- It's goal was a 30 cal solution that would function in ARs. It also happens that the less powder/big payload works very well in a suppressed round. unsuppressed next to a 5.56, this is very pleasant to shoot. Some people may not care about that, understood.

In terms of energy 300BLK and 6.8 are very similar, but the 300BLK has the advantages of a better subsonic load, large bullets, full-capacity in standard AR magazines, standard 5.56 AR bolt, etc...

Ammo pricing and availability will be key. I agree.
Kick Ass Design
eazenutz33
Silent Operator

Post by eazenutz33 »

will muzzle brake mounts be available? The Major made it apparent what can happen with really short barrels, of course, thats assuming the blast baffle would get beaten similarly to a 5.56.
I got a silencer for my wife.......I think it was a good trade!
SilentMike

Post by SilentMike »

eazenutz33 wrote:will muzzle brake mounts be available? The Major made it apparent what can happen with really short barrels, of course, thats assuming the blast baffle would get beaten similarly to a 5.56.
You could use the currently available 51 tooth .30 cal brakes on a 300 Blackout.
Mike Smith
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988
eazenutz33
Silent Operator

Post by eazenutz33 »

SilentMike wrote:
eazenutz33 wrote:will muzzle brake mounts be available? The Major made it apparent what can happen with really short barrels, of course, thats assuming the blast baffle would get beaten similarly to a 5.56.
You could use the currently available 51 tooth .30 cal brakes on a 300 Blackout.
that would work! has anyone noticed the baffle erosion the Major's pics showed with 5.56?
I got a silencer for my wife.......I think it was a good trade!
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

eazenutz33 wrote:
SilentMike wrote:
that would work! has anyone noticed the baffle erosion the Major's pics showed with 5.56?

Eaze- the 762-SDN-6 will mount on any 51T Ratchet mount, so on your 762 guns you could go flash hider or muzzle brake, and for 5.56 use, you'd have the choice of flash hider, muzzle brake or BRAKEOUT.

As an aside though, the 300BLK is nowhere near as tough on blast baffles as 5.56 in SBRs. It has a much smaller/faster burning powder charge.
Kick Ass Design
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

Good info Jason, thanks.
WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

In looking at more and more pics online I definitely hope that a rail system that is as long as possible on the 9" barrel surfaces. IIRC the mount/can eats up 3/4" of barrel length (someone on another forum measured front of upper to rear of can on an 11.5" barrel as 10.75") so I would think an 8.0 FF rail would be the longest possible?

this isn't an aesthetic issue for me, it's just a desire to cover as much of the barrel as possible on SBRs with FF rails to allow for the most mounting/grip options. On a 7.0 rail if you mount a light, you really start to push your support hand further and further back.
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

rob_s wrote:In looking at more and more pics online I definitely hope that a rail system that is as long as possible on the 9" barrel surfaces. IIRC the mount/can eats up 3/4" of barrel length (someone on another forum measured front of upper to rear of can on an 11.5" barrel as 10.75") so I would think an 8.0 FF rail would be the longest possible?

this isn't an aesthetic issue for me, it's just a desire to cover as much of the barrel as possible on SBRs with FF rails to allow for the most mounting/grip options. On a 7.0 rail if you mount a light, you really start to push your support hand further and further back.
an 8" URX or DD lite would be the shit on here.
Kick Ass Design
Ctaylor

Post by Ctaylor »

JasonAAC wrote:
rob_s wrote:In looking at more and more pics online I definitely hope that a rail system that is as long as possible on the 9" barrel surfaces. IIRC the mount/can eats up 3/4" of barrel length (someone on another forum measured front of upper to rear of can on an 11.5" barrel as 10.75") so I would think an 8.0 FF rail would be the longest possible?

Hmmm, I wonder if my school's FMB (big heavy duty metal band saw) could handle cutting down a DD rail from 9" to 8", anyone want to sacrifice a rail to test the theory? ;)
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

Ctaylor wrote:
JasonAAC wrote:

Hmmm, I wonder if my school's FMB (big heavy duty metal band saw) could handle cutting down a DD rail from 9" to 8", anyone want to sacrifice a rail to test the theory? ;)
It would "handle" it no problem. A home shop bandsaw could cut through it. The problem comes in where the cuts wind up relative to the holes.