Anyone shoot lead cast pills in their 300ACC?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

JBMauser
Silent Operator

Anyone shoot lead cast pills in their 300ACC?

Post by JBMauser »

I played with that when I first built my Blackout. They do not cycle but I moved on to standard jacketed. I keep looking at a quantity of 30cal cast and I am thinking of trying them again. Anyone shoot light cast bullets?
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Re: Anyone shoot lead cast pills in their 300ACC?

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

I shoot mostly cast lead. What types of problems were you having with cycling?
JBMauser
Silent Operator

Post by JBMauser »

I have a bunch of 115 and 125 gr cast and I had loaded them and even my 220 gr. pills at about 1850 fps which does not cycle the action. I am looking for some info to start fresh and get back to cast. looking to see who has some results I can consider.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

I have no knowledge of, or experience with, loading lead bullets for supersonic use. All of my loads are for subsonic shooting. So, I'm sorry I can't help you there. I was curious if your problems were related to the bullet jamming due to the difference in bullet shape between the more conical FMJ bullets and some of the more common shapes for lead bullets which are more likely to be flat point or round nose at the lower weights.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

I should have some information in a bit.

I have 220gr cast out of COwheelweights with a baked on polymer coating (Hi-Tec? I think it's Hi Tec). I cast them last fall and the weather is finally getting close to where I can shoot. I admit it, as I age I like the cold less and less. :-)
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Based on available information, likely multiple problems.

Jacketed work fine, so likely bullet related, as long as there was no powder change.

No reason for a 220 grain lead bullet not to be able do feed, except apparently it has a velocity of 1850 fps. That weight at that velocity will cycle so fast the magazine won’t be able to feed. That’s if the round doesn’t blow a primer, stick the case to the chamber walls and completely jam the works.

The other possibility is under sized bullets. That would explain lack of pressure and no damage to the rifle.

Details, including load data are needed.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Hammerhead

Post by Hammerhead »

Prolly no help for the OP, but I shoot mostly light cast bullets in my 700 BDL. (subs)
Feeding can be iffy, but smoothing the feed lips greatly improved function with the typical 115 lrn.
100 grain flat points don’t feed at all.
By contrast 110 grain jacketed spire points feed 100%. (my defensive bullet)
Bought a single shot adapter for the flat points as I like them quite a bit, they ‘feed’ fine on the adapter.
I’m using liquid alox as a second lube on plain cast lead bullets, magic stuff.
Coated cast 115 carbine bullets feed well.
Trail Boss is proving to be the best fuel, Unique was disappointing as far as accuracy goes.
Lotsa’ fun.
JBMauser
Silent Operator

Post by JBMauser »

Hammerhead, I have some trail Boss and I will try it. someone told me you can just fill the cartridge to the base of the neck and seat the bullet. I think I would rather have a number to weigh to instead. I have not seen any data in the books I have for that powder cartridge pill combo. Do you have a start load for 115gr or some pill close to that?
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

I have shot cast bullets in 300blk from 115gr to 265 grain and always been able to get them to cycle. From supers to subs.

If you are pushing a 115gr and 125 gr to 1850 fps then an AR15 set up correctly should cycle just fine. If you are pushing a 220gr cast to 1850, I might suggest you stop before you have a cataclysmic failure. I pushed a 200gr cast to 1600fps and was showing clear signs of way excessive pressure.

Have you confirmed bullet diameter? And how are these bullets coated? Ie. Typical lube, some special lube, powder coated? Are the bullets gas checked?

What powders are you using. What charge for which powder.

Gun set up. Barrel length, gas port position, gas port size, Buffer weight. Spring.

There are a lot of possible reasons for the problems you are experiencing.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
Hammerhead

Post by Hammerhead »

I used recipes from the sticky thread about lightweight sub loads.
I ended up using 5 grains for 110 jacketed and 3.5 grains for 115 LRN and 110 LFP.
Load density was below 90% for the 5 grain load.