10.5" vs 16" barrel

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

gator

10.5" vs 16" barrel

Post by gator »

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. So please bear with me. I recently changed my barrel from 16" to 10.5" on my AR 300 AAC.
I'm wondering how much velocity am I giving up by switching barrel length? Accuracy also. As for optics I'm using a
2-8x24 compact scope I've had laying around. I know it's overkill but it works for now anyway.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Re: 10.5" vs 16" barrel

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

The amount of velocity lost is going to depend on the load and some other variables, but generally I’m seeing somewhere in the range of 25-35 fps for supersonic loadings. I would expect somewhere around 2200 fps in my 10.5” for the same load gives around 2400 fps in my 16”.

And I wouldn’t expect to see an accuracy change based only on a change in barrel length. You’ll have a different trajectory. But you won’t necessarily have a change in accuracy due to change in length alone.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Re: 10.5" vs 16" barrel

Post by BlogSarge »

Welcome to the forum and to the pleasures of short barrels. This round is fantastic for use in SBRs or AR pistols

With the Barnes 110 load you’ll go from about 2400-ish fps to 2200-ish fps. There is a lot of ‘ish’ factor here depending on your particular barrel, atmospheric conditions and such.

With these Barnes loads you get expansion down to around 1300-1350 fps so you still hjave quite a bot of usable range.

I agree with Duck, a barrel’s accuracy is a function of its quality and not its length.

The 2-8 scope is a great power range; low enough for quick target acquisition up close but ample zoom for longer range targeting and target identification.