Seeking Experience DDM4 PDW

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Mas Casa

Seeking Experience DDM4 PDW

Post by Mas Casa »

Happy New Year all. I'm considering buying the Daniel Defense PDW. Does anyone have experience with it? Anyone use it for hunting? Thanks in advance.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Seeking Experience DDM4 PDW

Post by dellet »

This might be a good start, Hopefully Regaj will see this and chime in, He's had it a bit longer and may have more info.

viewtopic.php?f=140&p=1005915
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Mas Casa

Post by Mas Casa »

Thanks for the point out! Great data in that post.
Regaj
Silent Operator

Post by Regaj »

I'm deeply impressed with my DDM4 PDW. It's my first Daniel Defense firearm, but won't be the last. I've only had mine since late summer, so can't claim a lot of experience with it. But it's a very elegant weapon and if something happened to mine I'd be on the horn and online the next day looking for another. Mine now wears a Trijicon MRO and that fast-handling sight suits both me and the weapon to a tee.

I haven't hunted with it, but there's no reason you couldn't. You just have to be mindful of the ballistics of the round and the terminal effectiveness at whatever range you might anticipate. All of the short-barreled PDW's and SBR's give up a lot of velocity versus the 16" barrels that are usually spec'd for the round. Just physics. But the 300 Blackout is a remarkably flexible cartridge within its performance envelope. It - the 300 Blackout - has quickly become one of my very favorite cartridges. I have the DDM PDW to thank (or blame!) for that.

Confirmation bias and all that... so maybe take it all with a grain of salt. YMMV. But if you have any specific questions, just ask. I'm still on the left side of the curve with respect to the round itself, but there are some very knowledgeable people onboard here - like Dellet - who have extensive experience with it. I've spent many a pleasant hour perusing some of the old threads.
Mas Casa

Post by Mas Casa »

Regaj,

I've only handled a DD before and it felt rock-solid, definitely a step above the M4s I'm used to. I have a lot to learn about the round. A few guys at work hunt with it too. I appreciate your input and advice. Have you modified it any since you bought it; sling, light? As luck would have it, I have an extra MRO as well.
Regaj
Silent Operator

Post by Regaj »

No, I haven't really customized my DDM4 PDW. It doesn't come with a sight, so you have to add that, of course. And I've got a Blue Force Vickers sling that stays close, but unattached, to the weapon in the event it's ever needed. But no BUIS or weapon light. The strength of the weapon is its diminutive size (for a long gun) and modest weight and I'm reluctant to compromise that by adding a lot of stuff. It will already lose a bit of that handling prowess sometime later this year when my can is released.

I picked up a number of Lancer 20-round magazines to augment the 300-Black-specific 30-round PMAGs that I have on-hand - the shorter Lancer's suit the small-statured PDW better (and are much better for any kind of bench work). And I picked up an Assault Systems submachine bag to carry it all in (which will no longer work once the can arrives). It's a tidy little package that rides easily in my truck.

The DDM4 PDW itself has proven extremely reliable over its first several hundred rounds.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

All the happy tactical stuff aside - Daniel Defense is top tier stuff. I don't own one, build my own - so no bias here. As far as the capability of the round, do not question it. It works out there as long as you are good enough to steer it.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Mas Casa

Post by Mas Casa »

Appreciate you weighing in, rebel. I read through a few posts on hunting and barrel lengths for different purposes yesterday and I may be better served by a 10-12" length.
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

I have a factory DD SBR for about 9 years. It's pre DD unique furniture. I'm local to DD. It was bought as a MK18 but I sold the upper on day one never fired it. Put a few different 8" BO uppers on it. I have at lease 10K rounds on it, probably much more. I love it. I was considering buying the 7" PDW upper and stock from them, even called, but they want more for the upper than I paid for the OEM SBR. :cry:

They make good stuff. I've only ever had the disconnector go bad. (not part of there recall) I would recommend them. It's my favorite AR and BO is my favorite reloading round.

If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst, boing or explode, it's not worth shooting.
Mas Casa

Post by Mas Casa »

I like the simple setup. Do any hunting with it?

For already built uppers, I looked at a BCM 12" MLOK and they're similarly priced as a DD 10.3" Blackout upper with a Mk18 rail (with the MIL/LE pricing). Brownells has their BRN-180S uppers for a bit less. None of those options look bad.