ATF notice of arm brace vs SBR

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

noname
Silent Operator

ATF notice of arm brace vs SBR

Post by noname »

I received a notice via e-mail within the last 24 hours concerning arm braces for AR type pistol/rifle.

Does anyone have the "Cliff Notes" version of this loong notice? Sounds like some manufacturers of arm braces are stretching the intent of a pistol brace. Now ATF is planning to get horns and gore gun owners if they don't register their gun by some future date. Trouble is ARs are erector set type guns, i.e. assembly of user parts. I have a legal SBR and a tax stamp. I also have other ARs and an arm brace that fits them all. Since I got the tax stamp for my AR SBR, I rarely use the arm brace (years).

Rather than go through a bunch of needless paperwork and cost, I'd rather trash the arm brace. I don't know where the purchase receipt is at, if I kept it. I don't think the arm brace has a serial number on it, if it does I cannot find it.
Previously known as hardcase. Moved lost internet connection for 1+ years.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Re: ATF notice of arm brace vs SBR

Post by TRshootem »

At this point the 'Notice Letter' does not have the force of Law, however there are so many ways listed that it would be a case by case basis for any kind of enforcement. Some think this was leaked, written in this manner for a heads up. Sold mine off months ago.

Honestly, most shooters do the 'incidental' shouldering of their pistol. One argument in the letter is these pistols were were intended for one hand shooting with a arm brace for stability for those with a disability. The one hand thing is BS, almost all handgun shooters grip with both hands, all the time. One hand grip for USPSA or IDPA classifiers is what you usually see and occasionally recreational one hand grip. Ya gotta wonder if any of em know jack about firearms. The list of possible no-no's in the poorly written document is an affront to the 2A.
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

I get ATF's news letter. in yesterdays they were asking for input on this subject. now is the chance to voice your opinion. (I don't know how much good it will do though)
peace through superior firepower
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

It will be challenged in court. They let these braces out for awhile without bitch about them. I do see some points brought up but should have been addressed when they came out. No need to worry at this time. Don’t think they give a rats arse on comments. Let the big boys throw there political weight like Sig and others flooding the market with braced weapons.
nksmfamjp

Post by nksmfamjp »

Frankly, I hope they go away on some kind of technicality......I don’t see that happening. Otherwise, they could give us a couple years to comply and offer no charge sbr as the main option. I really don’t want to see a new class created.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

Here is SB tactical response on there web site. Others are calling this gun registration too. This could get real ugly if the courts don’t stomp on this BS.
https://www.sb-tactical.com/wp-content/ ... elease.pdf
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

Guess my next question is, how are they going to know who have braces without raiding or sending letters to every retailer who sells braces for names and addresses of purchasers. This right here would tell me ATF is in full retard mode and crapola is about to hit.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

bearcatrp wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:16 pm Guess my next question is, how are they going to know who have braces without raiding or sending letters to every retailer who sells braces for names and addresses of purchasers.
This is exactly what they are doing with the 80% lower raids. They are seizing customer records from these companies and third party shipping companies, and going after those who purchased the lower.
shortround60

Post by shortround60 »

The ATF just rescinded the guidance letter.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/break ... ification/
IYAAYAS
No Bullets, No Bang!
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

The sneaky bastards will try again. You can bet on it.