Identification of projectile

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Cowman1944

Identification of projectile

Post by Cowman1944 »

Good day, friends.

I acquired some 300 Black reloaded rounds that the previous owner said the following: The projectiles are not FMJ but he doesn't know what type of bullet the rounds were loaded with. I don't know who loaded them but they are bright and shiny.
Additionally,the projectiles have a double cannelure and an open tip like a Barnes. I looked on the Barnes wed site and I see that none of their projectiles have a double cannelure. I am aware that a double cannelure on a projectile can mean it is meant for two different rounds.

Can anyone identify the maker/manufacturer of the projectile?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Re: Identification of projectile

Post by Sig220 »

Can you post a pic of one. My rule on somebody else's reloads is to pull them down and load them again. That way I know what I am shooting is safe.

But that is just ole cautious me...YMMV :shock:
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Re: Identification of projectile

Post by TRshootem »

You didn't mention the quantity, but I would pull apart at least 5 rounds and weigh the brass, powder charge and bullets. If all are the same head stamp and appear to be not yet been fired then note all that. You may be able to determine which powder it is if you have access to some of the likely ones. I would sure feel better if I knew the the loading history and knowledge of the seller. Lastly, the advice to pull 'em all may be indeed sage counsel if you can't determine info that you are comfortable with.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Sig220 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:16 pm My rule on somebody else's reloads is to pull them down and load them again. That way I know what I am shooting is safe.

But that is just ole cautious me...YMMV :shock:
Not just you being cautious. Me too, and anyone who values themselves and all that they work for.

There is liability in making ammo. Someone 30 years later, should you give loose ammo to them today, can claim that it was YOUR ammo that blew their gun up and disfigured them. Prove that it wasn't. For that reason I never give my loose ammo to anyone. By the same token I never shoot anyone else's loose ammo. Hand them a magazine where they never touch the ammo and to shoot it then and there in my firearm, that's something different. But "strange" ammo in my firearm? Back to the original caution. I have no idea what it is. I reclaim the components using the powder for fertilizer in the garden because I can guess at it but I can't be certain enough for my peace of mind. If I can't figure out what the bullet is, or if I have just a few, it joins the melt lead bucket.

It's just not worth the risk.