Help with short stroke...

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

cobrar97

Help with short stroke...

Post by cobrar97 »

I just got a Primary Weapons Systems (PWS) MOD2 MK109. I have a Q Trash Panda suppressor and was shooting Sellier & Ballot 200gr subsonic target rounds.
The gun would fire maybe 3 shots and then a short stroke. Maybe 4-5 short strokes in a row...then it would fire a couple in a row. Then short-stroke again. It was pretty random, but certainly makes the firearm unreliable.
PWS says their system shouldn't need adjusted, but there must be a gas pressure issue....what can be done here?

Anyone know what could correct this?
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Re: Help with short stroke...

Post by 20X11 »

Lube and a couple hundred more rounds? Sounds like it needs a good break-in.
cobrar97

Post by cobrar97 »

That would certainly be easy enough. I just assumed it was a gas issue.
Recommended points of lube on this particular platform that need some extra attention?
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

I like to break in with a fairly wet BCG. This does not go well with a suppressor, but that isn't necessary for break in.
cobrar97

Post by cobrar97 »

Got it. I'll pop off the suppressors and run some lube. The gun is intended for CQB (suppressed with subsonic loads). What's you favorite round for running some supersonic rounds unsuppressed to get it greased up? Then I can go back to my regular setup.
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

I like to break in with cheap 125 gr - 150gr...what ever i can get my hands on. I have a bunch of Remington and Freedom Arms I use for this purpose. After 50 or so factory rounds, I switch over to my handloads.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

i'll agree to break it in with supers. run it hard to knock the burrs off and then go to your normal loads.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
cobrar97

Post by cobrar97 »

Unfortuantely...looks like buying 300blk supersonics rounds is going to be difficult. NO ONE out there has anything at all.
shortround60

Post by shortround60 »

My six inch build was having issues with the same ammo, which my 10.5 build loves. Dellet suggested running Remington ammo through it and sure enough, their 120gr ammo is the bees knees. I grabbed a bunch from Sportman's Guide at a reasonable price. Currently it is available at Alamo Ammo, but for $1.75 a round. There are a few more options out there but not the same load. Check SGAmmo for 125gr at a fair price considering this current shortage.
IYAAYAS
No Bullets, No Bang!
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Good advice. It works elsewhere too and not only for ARs and 300BLK. I'm probably writing this for the 9 people out of 10 who read and never take part, so bear with me.

I had forgotten about the advice I read here to run it hard to knock burrs off, but sometime before this I bought a new shotgun that wouldn't go into battery. I wasn't going to shoot it for some time because there was no point as I didn't have it set up as I wanted, with the sights I wanted. I'd have been firing it only to make noise; phooey on that. But the bolt wouldn't lock closed from what I could tell, I never needed to use the bolt release to cycle the action. I was quite literally minutes away from boxing it up for the long wait to get it back from the mothership when one of the dozen or so voices in my head told me to manhandle the slide. I don't like to do that because I'm known to break things. But sure enough it locked in. A few more times and then it would lock in with normal operation. Manually cycling it (hundreds of times? I didn't count.) and dry firing made it as smooth as butter and even helped the trigger quite a bit. Did I have the solution found in this thread in the back of my mind? Well yeah. I called the company and cancelled everything I put into motion. I'd heard about this solution over the decades but never took it seriously because I'd never had to do it before. Maybe I was lucky.

I never had to do anything like that before, maybe QC is going downhill overall? Due to the pandemic and a rush to get firearms out the door? IDK. Anyway, I ran into it also.