Ruger No1

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

noname
Silent Operator

Ruger No1

Post by noname »

Anyone ever seen one of these in 300 BO? What would be the chances of getting another caliber and having it re-barreled?
Previously known as hardcase. Moved lost internet connection for 1+ years.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Re: Ruger No1

Post by Whole Bunches »

Interesting idea. Probably best to start with one in a .223 size cartridge head so the same extractor could be used. Did a quick search and immediately found a gunsmith that rebarrels them. $450 was his base price, with a match bbl being higher. Would you have the bbl threaded for a suppressor?
noname
Silent Operator

Post by noname »

I already have 2 suppressors that I use on my other 300 BO rifles. Definitely need a threaded barrel. I don't know that I have seen one in a .223. Need scope mounts too.

Another thought. If the barrel would come off like a single shot shotgun, barrel change would be simple and quick. Could have a 223 and a 300 BO using the same receiver.
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

I have a Ruger #1 in .223, so I know that they made them at one time. Whether they will in the future is anyone's guess, as most are now a one run proposition through Lipsey's, with different cartridges featured each year.

As was mentioned, the problem with a rebarrel is timing the extractor cut. Also the barrel will not come out like a single shot shotgun-at all. It is threaded into the receiver and must be headspaced in relation to the breech block. A person might be able to get a very good single shot gunsmith to come up with some type of interrupted thread style configuration that might work, but again, extractor placement is the difficulty.

If you want a single shot that operates like a break open shotgun, I would recommend the Rossi or the T/C Encore. I bought a Bergara Encore barrel in 300 BLK, and I actually prefer it to the bolt guns that I have in that cartridge. It allows the use of many of the stubby 85-110 gr bullets without the inherent feeding problems of the boltguns. Not as fast as a bolt gun on the followup, but not too much slower either if you're used to doing it.
noname
Silent Operator

Post by noname »

Mike7.62 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:15 pm I have a Ruger #1 in .223, so I know that they made them at one time. Whether they will in the future is anyone's guess, as most are now a one run proposition through Lipsey's, with different cartridges featured each year.

As was mentioned, the problem with a rebarrel is timing the extractor cut. Also the barrel will not come out like a single shot shotgun-at all. It is threaded into the receiver and must be headspaced in relation to the breech block. A person might be able to get a very good single shot gunsmith to come up with some type of interrupted thread style configuration that might work, but again, extractor placement is the difficulty.

If you want a single shot that operates like a break open shotgun, I would recommend the Rossi or the T/C Encore. I bought a Bergara Encore barrel in 300 BLK, and I actually prefer it to the bolt guns that I have in that cartridge. It allows the use of many of the stubby 85-110 gr bullets without the inherent feeding problems of the boltguns. Not as fast as a bolt gun on the followup, but not too much slower either if you're used to doing it.
I will have to check these. My problem is I like looking at, admiring, cuddling, etc. my rifles. I'm just hooked on the appearance of real wood, preferably walnut. Plastic/rubber stocks just are hard to admire that way. I did breakdown and buy a Remington 700 in 300 BO. On my want list is to replace the rubber with a wood stock.
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

I understand completely. I like steel and walnut as well, and single shots of all types are my favorites. Sharps, Winchester 1885, Ruger #1, I like them all. That said, the TC Encore comes with a walnut stock option, and is very versatile, as you can get barrels in many different cartridges; some from TC, some from Bergara, and some from custom makers. I bought the Bergara barrel in 300 BLK, and I love it suppressed. I haven't shot it with supers yet, but it is stupid quiet with the 85-110 gr bullets of all flavors, especially with Trail Boss powder. It is as close to a quality break open shotgun type action as you will find at a reasonable price. The Rossi is a break open design, but not nearly as nicely finished as the TC.