New to 300blackout world

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

AlexH

New to 300blackout world

Post by AlexH »

Hello, I’m new to the forum and the entire platform of 300 blackout. Just ordered my first 300 blackout build kit. I ordered a pistol kit with a 7.5” barrel from Daytona tactical. Any tips/tricks/pointers anyone can help me with for building it? What rounds do you guys recommend for a 7.5” barrel? Does anyone know about Daytona tactical and their products? I know buying cheap ultimately results in cheap products, but I was just looking for something to go plinking with, possible conceal carry in a backpack every once in a while. Any insight on anything related to 300 blackout would be greatly appreciated lol. I’m not new to firearms. Just ar pistols and the caliber
Austin26

Re: New to 300blackout world

Post by Austin26 »

Welcome. I'm also new here though not new to the AR. I'm still figuring things out with my 16" carbine gas length. I can't answer most of your questions.
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

Welcome Alex. Do you load your own?, or are you looking for recs on factory Ammo?
gunner14412

Post by gunner14412 »

Welcome to 300 blackout.

There are lots of good ammo options for you, purchased or reloaded. Finding ammo in a store might be hit or miss, but on-line will have lots of options. I've purchased from SGAmmo.com, great service fast shipping. Though I think they've been really busy since the whole COVID thing hit.

Supersonics for hunting might be a little handicapped due to the shorter barrell length, but still capable with the right ammo/bullet. Subsonics and supression will be great in the shorter configuration.

I've purchased from Daytona Tactical, just 80% lowers though. They were completely fine, and great price, no complaints. I'm going to guess that the parts, in particular the barrel will be budget quality with mil-spec accuracy not sub-MOA marksmanship accuracy. For plinking and shorter ranges you should be in good shape.
AlexH

Post by AlexH »

Austin26 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:53 pm Welcome. I'm also new here though not new to the AR. I'm still figuring things out with my 16" carbine gas length. I can't answer most of your questions.
You fire it yet? You like the 16” barrel on it?
AlexH

Post by AlexH »

20X11 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:48 am Welcome Alex. Do you load your own?, or are you looking for recs on factory Ammo?
I have a buddy who reloads, I was thinking about getting into reloading, I have a ton of once fired 223 brass I was looking at cutting down, what grain bullet you recommend for plinking
AlexH

Post by AlexH »

gunner14412 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:53 pm Welcome to 300 blackout.

There are lots of good ammo options for you, purchased or reloaded. Finding ammo in a store might be hit or miss, but on-line will have lots of options. I've purchased from SGAmmo.com, great service fast shipping. Though I think they've been really busy since the whole COVID thing hit.

Supersonics for hunting might be a little handicapped due to the shorter barrell length, but still capable with the right ammo/bullet. Subsonics and supression will be great in the shorter configuration.

I've purchased from Daytona Tactical, just 80% lowers though. They were completely fine, and great price, no complaints. I'm going to guess that the parts, in particular the barrel will be budget quality with mil-spec accuracy not sub-MOA marksmanship accuracy. For plinking and shorter ranges you should be in good shape.
When I do venture into getting new barrels, what brand you recommend? I’d prefer keeping it on the short side, I noticed you said subs AND suppression will be good. Is supression required? Will I have hiccups and problems without the suppressor? I’m going to look into that website for ammo. Thanks for the heads up lol. The ammo is definitely on the pricier side for 300 blk lol. Good to hear about Daytona tactical. Been reading reviews on them for a few days now, seems like everyone is pleased with their products, although it does seem they lack in the customer service department, so I suppose as long as everything shows up and shoots, I’ll be in good shape for a while until I pony up a few extra bucks to start replacing parts lol
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

I like to plink with 125gr Speer TNTs...they shoot great out of my 7" as well as 16" barrels. Sig Sauer makes a 125gr round that works extremely well, but I can load my own far cheaper.
gunner14412

Post by gunner14412 »

AlexH wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:27 pm
When I do venture into getting new barrels, what brand you recommend? I’d prefer keeping it on the short side, I noticed you said subs AND suppression will be good. Is supression required? Will I have hiccups and problems without the suppressor? I’m going to look into that website for ammo. Thanks for the heads up lol. The ammo is definitely on the pricier side for 300 blk lol. Good to hear about Daytona tactical. Been reading reviews on them for a few days now, seems like everyone is pleased with their products, although it does seem they lack in the customer service department, so I suppose as long as everything shows up and shoots, I’ll be in good shape for a while until I pony up a few extra bucks to start replacing parts lol
I personally have a Wilson Combat 16" barrel, shoots MOA or better... my technique is worse than the barrel. Also have a very budget Bear Creek Arsenal barrel, 10.5", haven't tried an accuracy test on it yet. But it hits the small steel target at 50 yards, so its good enough. There are lots of choices and price ranges, so you'll need to research and pick... all depends on your goals.

Cycling any AR is driven by how much gas comes back to the bolt key through the gas block and tube. In all likelyhood your barrel will work with subsonics (lower pressure) without supresser. Adding a suppressor and/or using supersonics will increase gas pressure for the action.

If your rig doesn't cycle or doesn't hold the bolt open after last round in the magazine, it's under-gassed, assuming adequate lube. If you get a lot of gas in your face when shooting, super heavy recoil or agressive marks on your brass from the ejector ripping it from the barrel too quickly, it's over-gassed.

Suppression is very cool, and quite a process to get one, but not required at all. Sub-sonic ammo without supressor is the lowest gas-generating combination, supers with a supressor the highest. If you have troubles with a certain ammo, it will be a bummer-range-day, but ask around here for help. I'd suggest having a few different ammo types (subs and supers) at first to see how they all perform. If there are things that don't work, don't despair. There are many options to trade out different parts and drilling operaitons to get it working.

Many folks balance the varying gas situation with adjustable gas blocks, me included. Other people tend to change out buffers weights and buffer spring strengths. Until you try out your rig with your ammo, you won't know how the balance of gas force vs. bolt/buffer action will be.

That's the strength and curse of 300 Blackout. With the wide range of light supers and heavy subs, with and without surpressor, the amount of gas for cycling the gun is dramatically different, and can often require tweaks with the extremes of each ammo type.
Austin26

Post by Austin26 »

AlexH wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:21 pm
Austin26 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:53 pm Welcome. I'm also new here though not new to the AR. I'm still figuring things out with my 16" carbine gas length. I can't answer most of your questions.
You fire it yet? You like the 16” barrel on it?
I do. Other than adjustable gas block issues it's doing pretty well.
Switched to a regular block and runs fine.