New to 300blackout world

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

45r
Silent But Deadly

Re: New to 300blackout world

Post by 45r »

Agb isn't needed with carbine gas 16 inch barrel.
For building a pistol or rifle find a hand lapped barrel if best accuracy is wanted.
My seekins 10.5 inch is very accurate,especially the second one.
I have a 16 inch made by Montana rifle works from DCA before they went out of business.
It is very accurate.
AlexH

Re: New to 300blackout world

Post by AlexH »

gunner14412 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:37 pm
AlexH wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:27 pm
When I do venture into getting new barrels, what brand you recommend? I’d prefer keeping it on the short side, I noticed you said subs AND suppression will be good. Is supression required? Will I have hiccups and problems without the suppressor? I’m going to look into that website for ammo. Thanks for the heads up lol. The ammo is definitely on the pricier side for 300 blk lol. Good to hear about Daytona tactical. Been reading reviews on them for a few days now, seems like everyone is pleased with their products, although it does seem they lack in the customer service department, so I suppose as long as everything shows up and shoots, I’ll be in good shape for a while until I pony up a few extra bucks to start replacing parts lol
I personally have a Wilson Combat 16" barrel, shoots MOA or better... my technique is worse than the barrel. Also have a very budget Bear Creek Arsenal barrel, 10.5", haven't tried an accuracy test on it yet. But it hits the small steel target at 50 yards, so its good enough. There are lots of choices and price ranges, so you'll need to research and pick... all depends on your goals.

Cycling any AR is driven by how much gas comes back to the bolt key through the gas block and tube. In all likelyhood your barrel will work with subsonics (lower pressure) without supresser. Adding a suppressor and/or using supersonics will increase gas pressure for the action.

If your rig doesn't cycle or doesn't hold the bolt open after last round in the magazine, it's under-gassed, assuming adequate lube. If you get a lot of gas in your face when shooting, super heavy recoil or agressive marks on your brass from the ejector ripping it from the barrel too quickly, it's over-gassed.

Suppression is very cool, and quite a process to get one, but not required at all. Sub-sonic ammo without supressor is the lowest gas-generating combination, supers with a supressor the highest. If you have troubles with a certain ammo, it will be a bummer-range-day, but ask around here for help. I'd suggest having a few different ammo types (subs and supers) at first to see how they all perform. If there are things that don't work, don't despair. There are many options to trade out different parts and drilling operaitons to get it working.

Many folks balance the varying gas situation with adjustable gas blocks, me included. Other people tend to change out buffers weights and buffer spring strengths. Until you try out your rig with your ammo, you won't know how the balance of gas force vs. bolt/buffer action will be.

That's the strength and curse of 300 Blackout. With the wide range of light supers and heavy subs, with and without surpressor, the amount of gas for cycling the gun is dramatically different, and can often require tweaks with the extremes of each ammo type.

Thanks a lot for the help. I ended up getting everything delivered and assembled. I’m now on the hunt for some ammo to test it out lol