300 blk optics

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

cornshuck

300 blk optics

Post by cornshuck »

My eyes are not what they used to be.
I need to find out what is a good optic for my 300 blk.
Perfer not a scope.
Something for up to 100 yards.
Thanks
laid_back

Re: 300 blk optics

Post by laid_back »

I have a 300 Black build going.
Likely use the EOTech HWS 300 Blackout. Has both subsonic and supersonic settings.
G30nut

Post by G30nut »

I have a romeo 5 on mine, really like it so far.
nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Post by nolwark76 »

I've got a Romeo5 on my SBR as well. If you want a good step up and don't mind the weight, an Aimpoint PRO or ACO are great too. Sometimes better with a bigger field of view.
Shushh

Post by Shushh »

Check out the Holosun HS503G-ACSS from Primary Arms. Ya of course don't need a scope, what you need is a good dot/reticle. The HS503G-ACSS is a red dot with a particularly good reticle setup. The ACSS reticle is awesome, it has the large horseshoe that can be turned off. The a chevron for precision then 3 dots below for drop. To be fair ya really need a magnifier to truly take advantage, the dots can be hard to make out with poor eyes and no magnification. But there's no downside to a magnifier on a flip mount, I dig this setup on mine.

Not a fan of the EOTech, my astigmatism hates the blury circle, and it can do less.
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

cornshuck wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:56 am My eyes are not what they used to be.
I need to find out what is a good optic for my 300 blk.
Perfer not a scope.
Something for up to 100 yards.
Thanks
I like the HoloSun 510C. I like it so much I have two of them on two different rifles; well a rifle and an AR pistol. It gives you the option of a 2 MOA dot, or a 65 MOA circle with a 2 MOA dot in the center, which can be used as a half assed rangefinder if need be. It's pretty rugged, and has great battery life. It will operate during daylight with a dead battery because of the mini solar panel it has installed, which is kind of handy. It also mounts directly on the Picatinny rail, so no extra mount needs to be purchased. For the money-$295 to $325 depending upon source, it's one of the best deals on a holographic style optic out there. It is about $150 less than the EoTech, and has more features. I have an EoTech 512 too, which I also like, but IMO the HoloSun is more sight for less money.
Ryanmac45

Post by Ryanmac45 »

I have the same issue! A buddy just bought a 3x from Primary Arms with the reticle for 300. It is really nice, clear, and just enough extra to see downrange on a hog hunt. Probably going on my rifles.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

That 3x PA looks like a decent scope.

I have a Aimpoint Comp M4 on mine because I don't see the cartridge, either superS or subS, as being a long range affair. I'm thinking 100ish yards maximum where I expect to use it. If I sight it in correctly I might not be driving tacks with it but anything within 100 yards will be in it's point blank range. That is, just put the dot on it no matter what ammo type and the bullet hits the target. That can be fine tuned a bit just by noting the distance and adjusting POA slightly.

Too, the Comp M4 does NV pretty good and that's important to me. I did consider putting a Holosun on it. I really like their sights and use them in competition, but again, I want NV ability even though I could save substantial weight with one.
noname
Silent Operator

Post by noname »

laid_back wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:16 am I have a 300 Black build going.
Likely use the EOTech HWS 300 Blackout. Has both subsonic and supersonic settings.
I have one of those. I have to reload for each dot and range. You cannot sight in for your favorite super and drop to a sub and use the underneath dot, or at least I cannot. Holdover can be confusing with two dots. My reload subs drop like a stone between 50 and 100 yds. But I rarely shoot my 300 BO super.

I'd vote for the Aimpoint.
Previously known as hardcase. Moved lost internet connection for 1+ years.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

For up to 100 yards, pretty much any red dot should do the trick. If you have an astigmatism that might be an issue. But otherwise, I prefer a red dot. Check out the Vortex crossfire for a great value 2 MOA dot. That is what I am running on one of my uppers, and a 3X magnifier that swings out of the way behind it. My eyes are terrible, and this set up is great for me out to my Max Point Blank Range.