How quiet should a 300blk pistol be?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

CXRs

How quiet should a 300blk pistol be?

Post by CXRs »

Hey all, I finally got some loads made up for my first 300blk upper, and I'm not particularly impressed with the volume.
I'm shooting 10.8gr of Shooter's World Blackout behind a 230gr from a suppressed 7.5", and it's a bit louder than a suppressed 22 handgun. I'm not sure if this is my barrel length, the powder charge, or if I've just got no idea what a suppressed 300blk should sound like, but it's not particularly quiet.
As an aside, its cycling but not locking the bolt back as is, so I'm not too keen to go reducing powder charges.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Re: How quiet should a 300blk pistol be?

Post by golfindia »

Action noise of a semi auto AR is 119db.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

^^^^^^Yep. ARs are loud just to operate.When I got my first can, I ran home and screwed it on, disappointment ensued. When I got a single shot and started playing with powder that I learned what a suppressed round should sound like.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

What others said!

I put a JP silent spring in a few of mine and it helps take out the annoying spring noise which helped quite a bit.

For the failing to lock back, I think a lighter buffer might help. Hopefully others with more buffer/spring swapping experience will pipe in with details.

If you have an adjustable gas block, make sure it is all the way open to see if that helps lock back. And also close it all the way so the action doesn’t cycle to see how quiet the actual round going off is. You’ll be amazed how much noise is made by the action alone.
CXRs

Post by CXRs »

The gas block is not adjustable, the upper is just your typical no-name budget pistol upper. I tried loading a few to 11.2gr of powder to try to offset the shorter barrel and try to get better cycling, and will be at the range later this week to test them. I may get a lighter buffer in the future, but right now this lower is for multiple uppers I have so no lower mods yet.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

There is a problem with the rifle if that load will not cycle properly. H2 buffer and full auto carrier is standard.

As for noise, that’s what you get with that powder, barrel length combination.

If you sort out the issue of the mechanical failure, then you can tune the load and gas system and quiet it down a fair amount.

Complete build details with gas port size would be helpful.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
CXRs

Post by CXRs »

I've got no idea as to the build specs, I bought it from Durkin Tactical and have never done an upper myself before. I really just wanted a budget oriented gun for a "beater" concept and to keep in my bug-out bag.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

It’s really difficult to do virtual diagnosing. It could be as simple as the bolt carrier being new and stiff or as problematic as an over size bore.

Start with buffer weight and carrier style, full or semi auto.

Make sure the face of the bolt can be pulled back more than 1/8” past the catch and that the catch can not slip behind the follower in the magazine. You might try a different magazine brand.

Knowing actual velocity would be helpful. As would other load details, actual bullet and COL.

The “I have a 300 blackout that I cobbled together from parts on the Internet, that won’t shoot from an unknown load picked at random” kind of post is hard to help, but it’s done all the time here if you can provide information asked for.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
CXRs

Post by CXRs »

I really appreciate the help, I'm still new to the whole "tuning ARs" thing and am trying to learn on the way.

As for the gun, everything is new with less than 20 rounds through it. It's a full auto carrier group, buffer weighs 2.9oz, and I can lock the bolt back by hand. Pistol length gas, 1:7 twist. Reflecting now it may just need broken in.

I dont have a chrono but its loaded to 10.8gr of shooter's world, and earlier I tried one round that I had loaded to 11.2gr and it still didn't lock it back. COL is about 2.4-2.45" avg. Bullets appear to be cast from a Lee mold, I got them for a steal. Powder coated and 230gr. Aside from a velocity, is there anything else that would help?
nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Post by nolwark76 »

Yep, Hollywood has lied to us about many things, suppressors in particular. Took my sons friend out last week and the teenage grin before pulling the trigger was huge. He fired a few and gave me a BLK look. I explained about supersonic ammo and berms at the range. We did shoot some subs but no, still not Hollywood quiet.

Still an awesome round.