Why don't mfg post min exp velocity?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Why don't mfg post min exp velocity?

Post by nolwark76 »

Can anyone smarter than me, which could be a turnip, explain why manufacturers don't readily post their minimum expansion velocities right next to their BC? For frick sake, if you sell a bullet, people want to know the ACURATE BC (cough, cough, Speer....), the bullet OAL, load data, and the minimum velocity it will most likely expand at. They always give it when asked so why not just put it there?! Not saying a stupid law should be proposed because this is America and they don't have to. Just frustrating when looking over new loads for bullets that you have to fish all over to find the info.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Re: Why don't mfg post min exp velocity?

Post by golfindia »

Expansion in what?

Concrete? Marshmallow fluff? Zombies?
nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Post by nolwark76 »

Yes, that's what I'm wanting to know. I want to know how at what fps a given hunting bullet expands in concrete and zombies.

I appreciate that Nosler advertises that their Accubond Long Rangle will expand down to 1300 fps.

Had to look around quite a bit to find that Barnes 300 grain TTSX .458 SOCOM bullets will expand down to about 1000 fps.

Obviously they build in a fudge factor for reliability because if the bullets don't perform, people will talk.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

I’ve wondered the same thing. Why not give min velocity for reliable expansion in standard, calibrated ordnance gelatin. It’s Most likely something the bullet maker is doing anyway, so why not publish it if they have it?
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Not ballistic gel, but maybe they can use this data:

https://people.com/health/a-womans-brea ... ctors-say/
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

golfindia wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:05 pm Not ballistic gel, but maybe they can use this data:

https://people.com/health/a-womans-brea ... ctors-say/
That is hilarious!
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

If meant for hunting- a deer
If meant for self defense, well that becomes weird with penetration, barrier blind, FBI tests and all that good sh$t. But for a hunting bullet they could at least pop one through a hog carcass. Never been attacked by concrete or a zombie so don't care.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

Oh I bet you the first major manufacturer that starts doing that would lead to something like Lucky Gunner giving a comparison chart. If you then take that then the other manufacturers will have to follow suit. it seems to me in the simplest way to make it repeatable and comparable would be a slightly thicker ordinance gel something like 15% as the standard for deer. but most expanding rifle bullets will generally expand and penetrate 20 to 25 inches in standard ordinance gel at 10%. So even if they use the standard 10%, that would give us a comparable number to work with.
Blowout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blowout »

Nosler has provided this on their e-tip bullet. Although not caliber specific, the velocity and expectation of expansion is illustrated. I'm sure these companies could partner with shooters to get the caliber specific information rather easily just by compensating them with some free bullets.
https://www.nosler.com/e-tip-lead-free-bullet

The other question would be defining what minimum expansion is. ie, 20% expansion when compared to cartridge diameter or something else?
300Blk 8.0" pistol with 80% lower
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

nolwark76 wrote: Yes, that's what I'm wanting to know. I want to know how at what fps a given hunting bullet expands in concrete and zombies.
Hahah

I would think it penetrates deeper into zombies then it would into concrete?

Seriously I don’t know why they don’t include some sort of standardized ballostic gelatin test results if they ever do those tests?

In all actuality they probably know what similar caliber bullet performance will be to the point where a phone call would probably get the answer you’re looking for even if they never tested that specific bullet.

I can remember in the old days, a box of shotgun shells might list the dram equivalent and it was up to the shooter to know what the velocity of the charge was supposed to be. Nowadays virtually all shotshells have velocity data printed on the box.

I guess Big Ammo slow to change?
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George