Speer Gold Dot 150 loaded ammo!!!!

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Re: Speer Gold Dot 150 loaded ammo!!!!

Post by nolwark76 »

Awesome as always, thank you.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

I’ve been wanting a factory load ever since the bullet came out. But am disappointed that they left so much potential untapped. I have to think that someone else will start loading it soon, and a bit closer to its potential; Black Hills, Corbon, Dallas Reloads, McCourt...

So, still waiting!
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

BlogSarge wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:06 pm I’ve been wanting a factory load ever since the bullet came out. But am disappointed that they left so much potential untapped. I have to think that someone else will start loading it soon, and a bit closer to its potential; Black Hills, Corbon, Dallas Reloads, McCourt...

So, still waiting!
I plowed through a good deal of the thread where all the testing was done on this bullet. I could not find a load over 21 grains of 1680 that was not over 2000 fps. I’m beginning to wonder of the factory loads might just be a bit faster than they marked on the box. That would be a pleasant surprise and possible.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Good idea. If nothing else, maybe I’ll get some and run them through the chrono. It’d be nice to be surprised.
glocker17
Senior Silent Operator

Post by glocker17 »

Looking at both the Barnes 110 and the Speer 150 its hard to due a good drop/energy comparison as Speer tends to quote false BC values. The Barnes at .289 seems reasonable but the 150GD is rated at .465 which isn't even close, thats higher than a Sierra 168 HPBT. Shooting them at my range they drop fairly quickly making me believe the BC is probably the same as everyone else 150 flat base bullet. Maybe a 125 GD with a boat-tail and higher bc would be the ticket.