Ammo box for 300blk

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Blowout
Silent But Deadly

Ammo box for 300blk

Post by Blowout »

The plastic 223 ammo boxes by MTM and others have the dividers too high for my liking. I put the round bullet up in the case after seating and then flip them bullet down after a slight crimp with a LFCD. I do this with all calibers cause it helps me keep track of where I'm at.

Anyone figure out another box to use instead? Maybe a case used for a pistol round?
300Blk 8.0" pistol with 80% lower
cdl
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Ammo box for 300blk

Post by cdl »

I wrote this 4 days ago, but thought maybe it was too "snarky". So I didn't publish it because that's not my intent. But with no responses in 4 days, well, something should be said...

I use Ziploc Freezer bags. Granted, reading a Post-it note through the sandwich bags is easier, it's just that the freezer bags last longer. They're cheap, store efficiently in an ammo can and are easy to carry in a pocket. When empty they store compactly and are reusable or disposable. Plus if you use stripper clips, it's handy to keep the empty clips together. On the negative, the wind can take them right out of an ammo can when empty.

Or did you have something else in mind?
eowen37

Post by eowen37 »

For bulk storage after loading I use 32oz deli food storage containers with lids. Can pick them up from Amazon for less than 50 cents each. I have pre printed labels with my pet loads & just stick them on containers.

Can fit 250 - 9mm, 200 - 40 s&w, 150 - 45acp, or 150 - 223 or 300 blk.

Sometimes when I go to the range I grab a container or just through some in a zip lock freezer bag. For 9mm I have a plastic berrys bullet box that stays in my range bag.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

Blowout wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:17 pm The plastic 223 ammo boxes by MTM and others have the dividers too high for my liking. I put the round bullet up in the case after seating and then flip them bullet down after a slight crimp with a LFCD. I do this with all calibers cause it helps me keep track of where I'm at.

Anyone figure out another box to use instead? Maybe a case used for a pistol round?
are you talking about for use during loading? or for storage *AFTER* loading.

it would appear from your post, that you're talking about use during loading.... which is not what those MTM and other ammo boxes are designed for. their purpose in life is to hold fully loaded ammo for storage or transport.

for use during reloading you're gonna want a case holder/reloading tray, not an ammo box

you can also get away using plastic trays from 40 or 45cal pistol ammo too

this is the type of loading tray i'm talking about - designed just to hold cases while you're prepping them

these are the hornady universal loading blocks

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1009893682

is that what you were looking for? HTH
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Blowout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blowout »

Thanks for the feedback on this...

I use a loading block for the process of charging the cases. Then after seating the bullet they go in a MTM box bullet up, then after seating bullet down. At which time they are stored in that box. I don't put the loaded case back in the load block because working left to right the loaded case would be in the way of my left hand picking up a new charged case.

I'm constantly working up new loads so the 50rd box works good. The top of the box gets labeled with the charge weights as do the rounds themselves. Helps me keep organized while checking velocities with a chrono.

Just thought someone might have found a better fitting box for the shorter 300blk round.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

Have found the MTM case gard 100 RS-100 works fairly well for load development. Holds 100.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Berry's makes a nice 22'3 box that shells don't sit as deep in. It's number is 405. Holds 50. Has an actual hinge, which is a plus.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Blowout wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:13 am I use a loading block for the process of charging the cases. Then after seating the bullet they go in a MTM box bullet up, then after seating [crimping?] bullet down.
Why not just use a second loading tray between seat and crimp? Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems odd to put rounds in the box during the reloading process.

BTW, the Frankford Arsenal "Perfect Fit" trays are so much better than the generic blocks, and have a smaller footprint on your bench. https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsena ... GT5NS?th=1
Blowout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blowout »

Thanks for the suggestions. Just ordered some Berry boxes to try out. I was thinking if I had to, I could just add a filler to the bottom of each compartment to raise the round a bit higher. Hopefully the Berry boxes take care of it so its not necessary.
Caveman Jim

Post by Caveman Jim »

I put all my loaded rounds (.223/5.56 & 300BLK) on stripper clips and store them in ammo cans after I have filled all my magazines.
Yes indeed, I have many magazines... :lol:
Life member NRA
You are either with us as Americans Or You are against us There is no IN BETWEEN
We cannot negotiate with those who say, What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable JFK