New bolt gun / what to choose?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

3blkSC

New bolt gun / what to choose?

Post by 3blkSC »

New here. I had a Remington 700 in 300 blk SPS and it got stolen. I want to replace it with another bolt gun and I’m looking at the new Savage Axis II. Any of you guys have this rifle and your thoughts? The Remington was a good gun and had a 1:7 twist and Savage has a 1:8 twist. Both 16.25” barrels. I also have looked at the Ruger.
Thank you!
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Re: New bolt gun / what to choose?

Post by rlandry6 »

The Axis is an entry level rifle, on par with the Remington 783 and the Thompson Compass.. It's probably a decent rifle, but I have not read much about it. Aftermarket parts and support is probably going to be minimal. I personally would stick with the 700. JMHO
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

CZ
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
3blkSC

Post by 3blkSC »

Rebel,
What model do you have? How does it group and what is your primary purpose ( hunting, plinking, etc)?
I looked at a CZ at Palmetto State Armory last week and don't recall what model it was..
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

I'm happy with Ruger Ranch, have the first model with rotary mags. It's been very accurate, kinda fussy about blunt nose bullets and just a nice little package.

I tried to like the CZ, a buddy's had similar feed issues with cast RNFP, as most bolt guns do. CZ makes a fine, accurate product. I had a early .17 and .223. Chose to stay with the Rem 700's that I was so comfortable with.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

3blkSC wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:03 am Rebel,
What model do you have? How does it group and what is your primary purpose ( hunting, plinking, etc)?
I looked at a CZ at Palmetto State Armory last week and don't recall what model it was..
527. If it didn't shoot I wouldn't have it. I hunt,target shoot. It's a sub MOA rifle with handloads.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
3blkSC

Post by 3blkSC »

I have two CZ’s one is a pellet gun and it is soooo accurate and well built. The other is a 22 and I’ve shot it five times. CZ’s are just great.
I went ahead and ordered the Savage Axis II. So I hope it shoots well. If not I’ll sell it.
The Remington’s are great but for the money and no more than I will shoot the savage just makes sense. I will probably buy a Ruger in 243 later toward deer season. Thank you.
450shooter

Post by 450shooter »

I like my Savage and would buy another if it were lost or stolen. Shoots great and the price was decent. Can't ask much more than that.
exexex

Post by exexex »

I have and recommend Ruger Ranch 300blk also. AR mag is only one I see available on Ruger site and I recommend it. I have one and it works well with the few AR and 300BLK mags I've tried. Also have one with rotary. When rotary mag works (a few of mine needed tweaking and now work), it's nice for being flush with stock.

Very accurate even for me. MSRP for $549 but you should be able to get them cheaper.

The bolt will be stiff to work for a while: probably due to the dual cams and maybe the three locking lugs. But they will get easier with use and some lube. Bolt will probably never be as smooth as some of the other rifles, but it works consistently and shoots well, even when barrel gets hot.

Other possible qualm with Ruger Ranch: I have one that the thread protector they provide will loosen after a few dozen shots but never close to falling off. Put an aftermarket flash hider on a 762x39 one which works fine.
Shaman

Post by Shaman »

Picked up a RARR a couple of weeks ago. Get the model that uses AR mags if you can find one. The stock feels cheap but mine doesn’t touch the barrel. The trigger is adjustable and I could live with it. Haven’t had time for a real range session but I did stop by an indoor range (17 yds) just to get my scope on paper. Shot pretty much into one hole with my hand loads for what it says at that range. I’ll know more next week.