Speer 125 Grain TNT expansion?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

hogcaller
Silent Operator

Speer 125 Grain TNT expansion?

Post by hogcaller »

I bought the 500 count box of Speer 125 gr TNT. What kind of expansion is everybody getting with these? I searched all over the internet to find some type of expansion test at 300 Blackout velocities and cannot find anything. Since they are so cheap, and I do a large volume of shooting while hog hunting, this bullet made sense to me.
"Sometimes you just gotta hunker down and take it like a jackass in a hail storm!"----Lyndon B. Johnson
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Re: Speer 125 Grain TNT expansion?

Post by wildfowler »

How long is your barrel?

I get about 2000 ft./s from my 10 inch AR barrel And 2400 ft./s out of my 16 inch bolt action.

I get no expansion, just flattening from the 10 inch barrel on hogs/deer and it still kills them really good, and a perfect mushroom out of the bolt action.

I really like this bullet.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
hogcaller
Silent Operator

Post by hogcaller »

16” AR15.
"Sometimes you just gotta hunker down and take it like a jackass in a hail storm!"----Lyndon B. Johnson
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

That ought to be pretty good for hogs then. I’ll bet you’ll get some expansion but by and large will maintain the majority of the bullet weight for deep penetration too. I’m thinking you’ll find accuracy around 2200, maybe a little more?

I don’t have a 16 inch blackout AR so I don’t know how much velocity you could expect and I’m sure others here will chime in at some point to give you some info in that regard.

good luck
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George