Cycling issues

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

WolfepackBlk

Cycling issues

Post by WolfepackBlk »

I built my first AR and went with the Blackout. I love the platform and the feel. My suppressor finally arrived and I tried it out and she won’t lock back on last round. I tried looking through other posts but couldn’t find advice on what to look for next so sorry if I’m asking a common question. I ordered all the parts and had my FFL dealer assemble everything for me when I got it. I’ve been tinkering with things but had him install the gas block and suppressor initially.

Anderson Manufacturing complete upper 7-1/2” barrel
Installed a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block
Pistol length gas system
I have h1,h2, and h3 buffers and a standard spring
Rugged surge suppressor

I bought a bunch of Sellers-Bellot 200 grain subs for target to get me started but they won’t lock the bolt back on the last round with the gas block fully open. I know it’s not the best ammo but I want a gun that will run on all types of subs. I’m keeping the brass and starting to reload but that’s a completely different topic.

Any advice would be helpful! Thanks.
GregP42
Silent Operator

Re: Cycling issues

Post by GregP42 »

I see you have all the heavy buffers, but do you have a standard carbine buffer? I haven't had to use a heavy buffer in my blackouts yet. I would try that and see what happens.

Greg
NRA Life member
WolfepackBlk

Post by WolfepackBlk »

Ok, thanks. I will order one next week. I’m willing to try almost anything to get this gun working reliably. I’ve ran almost 800 rounds of supers through it last year and now with the tax stamp finally arriving I am really excited to get the subs working. I didn’t understand how challenging it was going to be when I started this build to get this gun to function. I have enjoyed it. This is my first AR build but won’t be my last! It’s addictive. But one gun at a time. Thanks again for the advice
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Pistol gas should work without a problem with a full auto weight carrier and an H2 buffer, standard weight spring. Even without a suppressor.

You have enough rounds through the rifle so it should be well broke in, but also dirty enough to cause problems with questionable ammo. A good cleaning and lube may be all it takes.

Look for gas leaks around the block and tube, there should be no carbon outside the barrel. A minor leak there can be a huge problem.

Before modifying the rifle to boot one brand of ammo,I would try known good ammo. remington umc white box is common, reasonably priced and reliable. If it won't cycle with that, it's not ammo related.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
WolfepackBlk

Post by WolfepackBlk »

I have been cleaning the gun every time I take it out, about every 100 rounds and making sure she’s very wet and oiled. When the suppressor showed up last week I had to remove the handguard and trim it to make the suppressor fit correctly and there was a bit of carbon on the inside of the handguard and around the barrel. I cleaned it up before I took it out to try the suppressor for the first time. I didn’t put that together till your comment. So I need to look into a leak. I think your on to something! Not sure how to check that so I’ll start watching YouTube. Thanks!

As far as ammo, I’m not sold on this ammo. I was an ass and got excited when I picked up the gun and bought a 1000 rounds because I could afford it. I do regret that but I’m have to deal with that. Once I get it running reliably I plan on reloading all my round.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Also, don't assume that just because you had a "professional" install the gas block that it was done properly. While you're checking into the leak, make sure that it is properly centered over the barrel port.
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

Remove the gas block and look at the port. Ideally you’ll want to see complete circle of carbon uniformly around the port. If you’re seeing a partial circle of carbon this would indicate partial alignment problem. If so, take note of the location of the error and correct when reinstalling. Remember to clean the carbon if you to check again.

Hopefully the barrel is factory dimpled meaning there is a small divot machined in the bottom of the barrel for one of the two gas block screws to counter sink into when installing the block. If so, remove completely the screw that would be over the dimple so you can “sight” for proper alignment.

If not, there should be plenty of videos available to demonstrate various techniques to pencil some marking lines on the barrel and block.

You can even blow through the gas tube to “feel/hear” for full air movement.

Also, I like to seal the block in place using a small amount of blue loctite. This will help with gas leakage around the block. I just apply a light coating into the inside of the block.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
WolfepackBlk

Post by WolfepackBlk »

I want to say thank you for all the advice, I took it out today after reading all week. Turns out I’m an idiot and didn’t go online and read about what kind of gas block I had installed! Once I did what their instruction said it cycles beautifully!!! I thought I had the gas block fully open but I was way off and into the bleed off portion I didn’t know I had. That also explains why I have carbon in between the hand guard and the barrel. Ran another 100 rounds and she’s amazing! Thanks again!