New guy here, have a question

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Black Donkey

New guy here, have a question

Post by Black Donkey »

Will be picking up my first rifle chambered in 300BO tomorrow. Plan on buying 100 or so rounds of factory ammo to break in/sight in gun and then use the brass to reload both super and sub after they are fired. What brand of reloading dies do you suggest? Any brand of brass that is good or bad? Also, I cast/powder coat/gas check lead bullets already for other .30 caliber rounds and was wondering if that is popular with 300BO? Thanks
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Re: New guy here, have a question

Post by TRshootem »

I use the Hornady die set, this was the only local dies available at that time. No complaints, forming and resizing have produced some great ammo. On my Dillon 550 I added the Lee Factory crimp die for use on some loads. Welcome aboard, lots of great help here, spend some time in the load data and other threads.
Roachclass

Post by Roachclass »

I also use the Hornady custom grade. Was about to order when I saw them in stock at Academy for couple dollars less than midway. Good so far with great neck tension on the brass. Just be careful with the crimp feature. I messed up a few brass before I figured it out. Not the fault of the dies, my inexperience with the setup is what the problem was.
ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThreeHundredBlackout »

Roachclass wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:23 pm I also use the Hornady custom grade. Was about to order when I saw them in stock at Academy for couple dollars less than midway. Good so far with great neck tension on the brass. Just be careful with the crimp feature. I messed up a few brass before I figured it out. Not the fault of the dies, my inexperience with the setup is what the problem was.
You can also get a micrometer top for the hornady seating die for $20 more.
Only Jesus Christ Saves ! ! !
Roachclass

Post by Roachclass »

ThreeHundredBlackout wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:39 am
Roachclass wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:23 pm I also use the Hornady custom grade. Was about to order when I saw them in stock at Academy for couple dollars less than midway. Good so far with great neck tension on the brass. Just be careful with the crimp feature. I messed up a few brass before I figured it out. Not the fault of the dies, my inexperience with the setup is what the problem was.
You can also get a micrometer top for the hornady seating die for $20 more.
I'm thinking about it. I have a Redding comp die for my 260 with the dial on it and I really do like it. I have 4 different gr of bullets I'm loading for 300blk, so it should make life easier.
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

I am the cheapskate here, I used the Lee dies. they work fine. I have even formed brass with them with no problems.
peace through superior firepower
ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThreeHundredBlackout »

blaster wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:45 pm I am the cheapskate here, I used the Lee dies. they work fine. I have even formed brass with them with no problems.
Hey man, don't feel bad, my first 300 Blk dies were lee also and they worked great for me, and formed brass with them too without trouble ( had to readjust depth one time then all was well).

Only thing i would say about the lee is i don't care for the 1 piece decapping rod/sizing button setup ( it always wanted to slip through no matter how tight i got the collet bolt on top.)

I do like my Hornady dies better though.
Only problem i had one time was bending the zip spindle on the resizing die, didnt break the pin, the threaded section just above the button got bent somehow, but hornady was nice and sent me a new one (the cs guy tried to guess i bent a pin and i said no bent the zip spindle) i think it happened on a real stubborn primer that didnt want to come out, thought i was off center and hitting the brass wrong but came down a second time harder and it bent......still didnt kick out the primer on that one.

Id still like a forster or redding seater one of these days to have another seating die that looks different from the current 2, and to try out.

Hornady came with 2 seating stems in the 2 die set i got.
Only Jesus Christ Saves ! ! !
oodnoodn

Post by oodnoodn »

I'm a satisfied user of the Lee three die set also. Have had no problem reforming a couple thousand 223 cases with the sizing die early on, though I haven't done that lately since 300BLK brass has become pretty common.
just_me_mongo

Post by just_me_mongo »

I have used Hornady with no issues.

TC
**Do politicians cross their fingers while swearing to uphold the Constitution?