Welcome to the forum

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

rebel
Silent But Deadly

Welcome to the forum

Post by rebel »

As for late I have seen an uptick in the activity here on 300 BLK talk. I would like to welcome some of our newer folks, some of which I have already conversed with and some not. Some of you will be here awhile, some of you will be one hit wonders, others may never post and just read. One and all I would urge you to take advantage of this vast resource. I know of no other cartridge specific forum and community that could be of more help.
Handloaders and non handloaders alike could benefit from reading through several stickies and threads to give you ideas of where to start. The load catalog/ pet load section is vast.

To the new/less experienced reloader - The collective here will be sure to add to this but some of the more common mistakes seen here are substituting bullet and load data combinations, sometimes leading to potentially dangerous situations but more often than not just crappy groups.. A good example would be using data for flat based bullet and loading a boat tail at max. Two different bullets, two different base to ogive measurements, one seats deeper than the other.

The other is not working up slow. With several of the powders used for supers, understanding the properties of the propellant is very important. You can get into trouble fast and until you get your sea legs, stick to your manual. Same goes for fast powders and subs, make a mistake there and you get hurt and ruin a rifle.

For new guys in general, if you are having problems with cycling an AR, build details are important when asking for help.
For problems with hand loading, pictures are very helpful with diagnosing issues. I have heard folks get frustrated trying to post pics here but trust me, If I can do it anyone can (as I hunt and peck this post). Get an image hosting site and learn to use it.

One thing I have noticed over the years is folks reluctance to post their groups. No one here would give you a hard time over the size
of a group. If you posted a 4 inch group at 50 yards and asked "What the hell is wrong here?" would elicit a different response than " Is this good enough for deer hunting? " so be prepared for that.

All and all, enjoy, read and learn. Ask questions and get involved. You never know when the next epic uber informative thread will start from your questions or experiences.

Again, welcome all.
Rebel
House Redneck :P
Bourbon connoisseur :mrgreen:
Staff inappropriate humor contributor :twisted:
Gun powder Addict 8)
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: Welcome to the forum

Post by plant.one »

lots of good stuff there! this should probably end up as another sticky!
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Freedom1973
Silent But Deadly

Post by Freedom1973 »

Thanks for this timely post, Rebel. I can testify to this wonderful forum. I started in 300 black years ago as a newbie. I didn't know what I didn't know. Certain powders were hard to find in the early Obama years and I had to improvise. I found this group and did a bunch of READING. I learned better ways of doing things and methods to keep myself out of trouble. As I gained experience I asked questions if I couldn't find an answer using the search function. With all the reading I did, I began to see many common names in certain topics. I respect those Names. They have helped me develop my rifles, loads, and knowledge and I am very grateful. Do some homework and ask questions. This is a wonderful resource. Thanks to all that keep it going.
-Freedom
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Freedom1973 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:06 pm Thanks for this timely post, Rebel. I can testify to this wonderful forum. I started in 300 black years ago as a newbie. I didn't know what I didn't know. Certain powders were hard to find in the early Obama years and I had to improvise. I found this group and did a bunch of READING. I learned better ways of doing things and methods to keep myself out of trouble. As I gained experience I asked questions if I couldn't find an answer using the search function. With all the reading I did, I began to see many common names in certain topics. I respect those Names. They have helped me develop my rifles, loads, and knowledge and I am very grateful. Do some homework and ask questions. This is a wonderful resource. Thanks to all that keep it going.
-Freedom
You are welcome sir! I doubt I am among the Names but I have tried to post my experiences here in a truthful, exact way. Most great posters here have done the same and have been more helpful than I. My lack of patience and the exceptional talent to tell it like it is usually keeps me from adding comment. :oops: :shock: This makes gds's job easier :mrgreen: But I hope something I have posted here has helped someone over the years.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Painful though it may be... this Yankee has to second Rebel’s sage words of wisdom.

There is much to be learned here about the 300blk, both for those who roll their own and those of us who buy already rolled.

Either way, we encourage interaction and as a whole are glad to help answer questions. Spend some time searching the historical (and sometimes hysterical) posts and then ask for some advice and input.

And if a thread includes pictures of forum members, lay in a suplly of eye bleach before opening. Trust me. You’ll be glad you did....

Blog
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

I have found the 300 BLK to be a tinkerers joy and closing on 50 years of hand loading has made it less of a learning curve compared to some new to the disease. There was some exposure to 300 Whisper in years past and some of that sub data was kept in a file. The introduction of so many new possible powder and bullet options has made for the need of this resource and community. I'm often asked why 300 Blackout? That is where the person who isn't a hand loading crank really would not understand the answer.

Many thanks to those who have done truly astounding shooting with the little case that can. 8)
Freedom1973
Silent But Deadly

Post by Freedom1973 »

[/quote]
You are welcome sir! I doubt I am among the Names but I have tried to post my experiences here in a truthful, exact way. Most great posters here have done the same and have been more helpful than I. My lack of patience and the exceptional talent to tell it like it is usually keeps me from adding comment. :oops: :shock: This makes gds's job easier :mrgreen: But I hope something I have posted here has helped someone over the years.
[/quote]

Rebel,
You have been helpful and blunt at times. I appreciate it. I research here a lot before doing things on my own. You all have helped me directly and indirectly develop my PET loads and custom rifles. I will be sure to pass on the knowledge and post more of my success for others to share.
Freedom