300 + Yards

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

TexasWylie1

300 + Yards

Post by TexasWylie1 »

Do any of you shoot your 300 Blackout at 300+ yards? I'm curious about what kind of accuracy I can expect from my 16" barrel and Supersonic 110 vmax at a long distance.

I've had my Blackout for a few years and the accuracy at 50 and 100 is about 1 moa. But I'm thinking about stretching its legs.
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300 + Yards

Post by Bob the nailer »

The DR. is in.

viewtopic.php?t=101253
One ragged hole! The quest for accuracy continues...

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
Varmint Hunters Assoc. Member
American Gunsmith Association
www.knowyourzero.com
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

MOA or better depending on your build and shooting skills. Lot's of factors to consider but the cartridge is capable.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

rebel wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:47 pm Lot's of factors to consider but the cartridge is capable.
Amen brother!!

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
www.knowyourzero.com
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

A short stubby flatbase bullet as relatively slow speeds would not be my choice for accuracy past 300 yards. You might compare drop/drift of a 110 Vmax 2400 fps and something like a Berger 155.5 Full Bore at 2100 fps. It might surprise you.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I took 110 vmax factory loaded ( gasp! ) stuff and busted 5 clays in a row at 300. That was after figuring dope and my then 19 year old son betting I couldn't do it. 8) Thank God I showed him and his college buddies what an old man could do, even the sun shines on a dog's butt once and awhile :oops:
Past that load a higher BC bullet as dellet and Bob suggested.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

rebel wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:22 pm I took 110 vmax factory loaded ( gasp! ) stuff and busted 5 clays in a row at 300. That was after figuring dope and my then 19 year old son betting I couldn't do it. 8) Thank God I showed him and his college buddies what an old man could do, even the sun shines on a dog's butt once and awhile :oops:
It’s always surprising to see somewhere around 500 yards the heavier bullets have less drop and drift. Then something like the Palma bullets that are designed to fly through the trans-sonic range can really make a difference.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

dellet wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:31 pm
rebel wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:22 pm I took 110 vmax factory loaded ( gasp! ) stuff and busted 5 clays in a row at 300. That was after figuring dope and my then 19 year old son betting I couldn't do it. 8) Thank God I showed him and his college buddies what an old man could do, even the sun shines on a dog's butt once and awhile :oops:
It’s always surprising to see somewhere around 500 yards the heavier bullets have less drop and drift. Then something like the Palma bullets that are designed to fly through the trans-sonic range can really make a difference.
It is and the market has gone bat sh%t to keep up with the long range craze. Berger is the latest with a new Hybrid offering. Heavier than the last new offering, slick with super high alleged BCs. I trust Brian more than most on published BCs but it can be an advertising ploy as most don't take the time to prove it so or not so. So stamp a good number on the box.
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

Have only tested subs at 200 yards with 180 Wedge bullets, keeping them in a 3" group is easily doable, consistant sub moa is another creature to tame. I would think my 135 grain supers would be boringly accurate :mrgreen:

Then there is always TROM Tech
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg2iR6vjwQU

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
www.knowyourzero.com