factory ammo recommendation

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

A fellow hunter has purchased a 300 Blk 16" carbine, pistol gassed ( .120'" port ) AR. He was asking me about factory loaded ammo for Hogs and yotes I told him I reload my ammo so what has been the experience of others that shoot factory ammo.
He will shoot supers and supperssed for subs.
One ragged hole! The quest for accuracy continues...

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
Varmint Hunters Assoc. Member
American Gunsmith Association
www.knowyourzero.com
masblackbelt

Re: factory ammo recommendation

Post by masblackbelt »

For subsonic, I would definitely recommend Discreet Ballistics. A couple of nice things they do are 1) they have different loads for short barrels and 16" barrels, 2) they have a ballistic matched target load, and 3) I think they have one of the best subsonic projectiles available. If running them in an AR however, he may need to polish up his feed ramps a little (They have an instructional video on this). For super sonic stuff I think something like the Gorilla loaded Controlled Chaos, or Barnes loaded Tac-TX should work very well.

Full disclosure, I am a reloader too. So I don't shoot these (I use the projectiles though, and they work well!). But those rounds are what I'd spend my money on if I was buying loaded ammo.
You learn something new everyday when you're as dumb as I am...
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Supers I like the Barnes 110 or 120 grain loads, or anyone’s loads using these.

For subs, try Lehigh Maximum Expansion loads (I get mine from Beck Ammunition) or Maker Bullets’ Overwatch loads. If he tries the Discreet, tell him to shoot a bit without a can, I tried them early on in several of my rifles and almost all of the key-holed. That was a while ago and they’ve probably corrected any issues, but still...
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

BlogSarge wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:49 am Supers I like the Barnes 110 or 120 grain loads, or anyone’s loads using these.

For subs, try Lehigh Maximum Expansion loads (I get mine from Beck Ammunition) or Maker Bullets’ Overwatch loads. If he tries the Discreet, tell him to shoot a bit without a can, I tried them early on in several of my rifles and almost all of the key-holed. That was a while ago and they’ve probably corrected any issues, but still...
The early Discreet bullets had a very blunt tip and large opening that would deform/open when feeding. Looking at pictures and comparing to ones i tested, the tip looks to have been changed, but I never received a second design to test so can not say for sure.

Personally, anytime a manufacturer requires a certain magazine or modifications to the rifle it was intended for to work, I'm not buying.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Is he looking for off the shelf ammo he can likely find local or is he willing to order?
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

Thanks for all the replys this should keep him shopping for awhile. He will likely order his ammo then stock up on the ones that work best.

Thanks
One ragged hole! The quest for accuracy continues...

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
Varmint Hunters Assoc. Member
American Gunsmith Association
www.knowyourzero.com
mrRandallMar

Post by mrRandallMar »

What are some good choices for accurate factory 5.56 ammo?

I have a Rock River national match rifle, 20” 1 in 8 twist barrel, .223 Wylde chamber.

I don’t reload, and have been shooting federal xm193 55 grain ammo because it is affordable. I mostly shoot at 100 and 200 yards at sr-1 and sr targets, and generally shoot 40 round simulated matches when I go to the range, 10 slow prone, 10 rapid prone, 10 rapid sitting, 10 slow standing. I score in the 340-360 range. I suspect that there are more expensive ammo choices that would help me pick up a few more points.

Any suggestions? It wouldn’t be my regular ammo, but I’d like to see how much I might be missing vs “match grade” or good hand loaded ammo.

Or does ammo not make that much of a difference until you get I. The 300 and 600 yard distances?
https://www.amorserial.ru/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=291
VickiFer

Post by VickiFer »

Is there any interest in factory belted/linked 5.56mm, 7.62mm or .50bmg NATO spec ammo? I have access to it and was considering purchasing to make available to my customers

All factory new ammo with reloadable brass and linked/belted at the factory not aftermarket
http://beztchanje.ru