Thank you

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

rebel
Silent But Deadly

Thank you

Post by rebel »

To all the veterans on this forum, I, for one, appreciate your service to our great Nation.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Re: Thank you

Post by TRshootem »

Yes sir, thanks to all vets for your service !
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

Let us not forget that while there was an expiration date on our enlistment contracts, there was not one on the oath we took when we swore to uphold and defend our country and the Constitution.
If things really go south with the Liberals, we could very well be called upon again.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
GreenPig

Post by GreenPig »

Thank you to all veterans. Especially for my freedom.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

thanks too all the vets out there for having helped keep the US and the rest of the world a freer and better place.

you are not forgotton, nor is your service unnoticed or unappreciated in this household!
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

rebel wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:21 pm To all the veterans on this forum, I, for one, appreciate your service to our great Nation.
^^^ This...can't say it any better myself.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

The “thank for your service” greeting has always been a bit hollow to me, maybe just over used by people who don’t really seem to mean it.

This year that changed for me, and I was fed my own word by possibly one of the most humble human beings I have ever read about. Kyle Carpenter.

Below is the citation for his Medal of Honor,
LANCE CORPORAL WILLIAM KYLE CARPENTER
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as an Automatic Rifleman with Company F, 2nd Battalion, 9th Marines, Regimental Combat Team 1, 1st Marine Division (Forward), I Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward), in Helmand Province, Afghanistan, in support of Operation Enduring Freedom on 21 November 2010. Lance Corporal Carpenter was a member of a platoon-sized coalition force, comprised of two reinforced Marine rifle squads partnered with an Afghan National Army squad. The platoon had established Patrol Base Dakota two days earlier in a small village in the Marjah District in order to disrupt enemy activity and provide security for the local Afghan population. Lance Corporal Carpenter and a fellow Marine were manning a rooftop security position on the perimeter of Patrol Base Dakota when the enemy initiated a daylight attack with hand grenades, one of which landed inside their sandbagged position. Without hesitation and with complete disregard for his own safety, Lance Corporal Carpenter moved toward the grenade in an attempt to shield his fellow Marine from the deadly blast. When the grenade detonated, his body absorbed the brunt of the blast, severely wounding him, but saving the life of his fellow Marine. By his undaunted courage, bold fighting spirit, and unwavering devotion to duty in the face of almost certain death, Lance Corporal Carpenter reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.
“You are worth it.” Is the title of the book Kyle wrote and was just released, here is his explanation of how the title came to be,
The memoir, which was co-written with Don Yaeger and titled You Are Worth It: Building A Life Worth Fighting For, starts off with Carpenter hearing a phrase so many vets hear nowadays: "Thank you for your service."

That well-meaning "thank you" was from his Uber driver, Bobby, on the way to the airport. As he explains in the book, Carpenter usually just responds with thank you very much, I really appreciate that. But instead, for some reason, Carpenter responded: "You're worth it." It felt awkward the first time he said it, but it's something he says more regularly now.

"When Bobby told me 'thank you for service' and I responded 'you are worth it,' he looked at me in the rearview mirror for a while and he told me, my parents brought me here when I was very young from Pakistan. I'll never experience the hardships they had faced. I got an amazing education. And I'm so thankful to live in what I feel like is the greatest country in the world.

"So when I got out of that Uber ride, I really reflected on that moment and I wanted him to know that his family, the hardships that they faced. They are worth it."
Needless to say, I am more afraid than ever to say “thank you for your service”. The graciousness of someone like Lance Corporal Carpenter telling me I was worth losing limbs for, was humbling enough to read.

Thank you for your service?

How about, Thank you giving me life as I know it.

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If it’s in English, buy a veteran you don’t know or his widow dinner. They are worth it and so much more.

And to all the vets, thank you for a free world.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
TreeTopFlier
Silent But Deadly

Post by TreeTopFlier »

This was my favorite response to veterans day:

"Happy Veterans Day to all ... Especially Vietnam Vets. You’re the reason today’s Veterans are treated so well. Tilt a few back. You’ve earned it"
~ Robert J. Oneill~

The guy who shot Osama in his own bedroom.
I build the #TTFPowderStand for the Lee Turret Press

http://www.youtube.com/user/TreeTopFlier
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Well, I may sound cliche', but stand by my heartfelt OP. I grew up shaking men's hands in uniform just back from the horrors of the RVN.
I was just a little feller, but those guys in uniform impressed the hell out of me. My next door neighbor at the Campbell University apartment complex was a full bird colonel, 6' 6" and flew combat choppers.He was impressive.
I really don't think there is a right or wrong way to say thank you, as long as you take the time to do so.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.