300 Blk Build Question

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

kronic48

300 Blk Build Question

Post by kronic48 »

Hey Guys, I am brand new to the forum, but excited to be here! I already have a suppressed 8.5 inch 300 blk rifle, but I was looking into building a 300 blk pistol to be as small as possible without giving up too much. My Dead Air nomad will be on it 100% of the time when shooting it. I was thinking about going for the Ballistic Advantage 6" barrel. If i go with the 6" barrel, and direct thread nomad, what size handguard would you recommend for this?

I already have the lower with the SBPDW brace on it, so i will be using milspec BCG/buffer/spring.

Also, I have heard that 6 inch barrels can cause some cycling issues, is this true? If so, would I need to get a lightweight bcg/buffer/low powered spring? Or what would be the best way to remedy this?

Thank you so much for all of your help on this!
masblackbelt

Re: 300 Blk Build Question

Post by masblackbelt »

Honestly, I wouldn't go shorter than the 8.5" you already have. Except maybe if you're only running subs. Have you seen Mr. Gunsngear's video on 300blk barrel length? He has a pretty good video on the subject. My guns are a 10.5" AR and a 16" bolt gun. The AR runs supers almost exclusively, and the 16" bolt action runs subs most of the time. I think you could get away with 6" on a sub only gun, but I would be running a really fast twist rate like 1/5. As far as functionality, I think it would probably run okay with a powder like Accurate 1680, but I don't have any real experience with guns that short. I'll be interested to hear from someone with more experience than me as well.

Edit: To answer your handguard question SLR Rifleworks builds nice rails in many lengths, Personally I would stick to about 5-5.5 inches.
You learn something new everyday when you're as dumb as I am...
BoomerVF14
Silent But Deadly

Post by BoomerVF14 »

...and please post pics!
Gman2017

Post by Gman2017 »

Welcome to the group.
Mroja1016

Post by Mroja1016 »

I’m looking to do the same. The only difference is I want to run Maxim defense scw brace, it come with a proprietary bcg and buffer system.

https://www.maximdefense.com/product/scw-stock/

If any one has any experience running a 6” barrel. Would appreciate some tips